I do not live in the Netherlands. Can I still get a DigiD?
If you are a Dutch national living abroad, you can apply for a DigiD. If you already had a DigiD before you moved abroad, you can continue to use your DigiD.
To apply for a DigiD abroad, you must:
- have the Dutch nationality
- have a valid Dutch passport or valid Dutch identity card
- have a citizen service number (BSN)
- be registered in the Non-Residents Records Database (RNI)
- have a mobile phone on which you can receive SMS messages
- have an email address
Going to a service desk (mandatory)
If you have filled in the application form, you will receive a service desk code by SMS and email. With this code you can pick up your letter with the DigiD activation code at one of the DigiD service desks within 30 days.
Bring the following to the service desk:
- service desk code (which you received by SMS and by email)
- Dutch passport or Dutch identity card (for which you entered the document number in your application)
- citizen service number
Please note: not every country has a DigiD service desk and some service desks require that you make an appointment first.
Dutch state pension (AOW)
If you are receiving or will soon receive a Dutch state pensioen you do not have to go to a service desk. You can apply for your DigiD through the Social Insurance Bank (SVB: Sociale Verzekeringsbank). You will receive the letter with your DigiD activation code at your address abroad.