Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

US tax return Articles
I have no income in the Netherlands, do I need to file a US tax return?
Viewed 3142 times since Thu, Jan 22, 2015
Question: My question is about personal US income tax filing. I am an American married to a Dutchman. I have lived in the Netherlands for 12 years. I have not worked since leaving the US. I was told I needn Read More
Do I have to file a US tax return this year even though I don’t live in the US anymore?
Viewed 5786 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
Yes, you do, if you meet the income threshold. Not only are you liable for a Dutch tax return if you live and work in the Netherlands, but you are also still under the obligation to file your 1040 in the States. Your income, filing status and age... Read More
I am living in the Netherlands since 2009, do I still have to file my US taxes for 2009 through 2011?
Viewed 4656 times since Wed, Aug 1, 2012
Question:   I have been living in the Netherlands since February 2009 and have not filed my US taxes for 2009 thru 2011. I am told because I made very little income or none at all, I did not have to file.  However, since&nbs... Read More
5 reasons why you should hire Expatax to prepare your US tax return.
Viewed 4222 times since Tue, Feb 28, 2012
Should you hire a tax advisor to prepare your US tax return? You may feel like the answer depends on the complexity of your tax filing. And with the economy still sluggish, affordability may also be a big factor.... Read More
Can Expatax assist me with both my Dutch and US tax return?
Viewed 5165 times since Tue, Jan 17, 2012
Yes, Expatax can certainly help you with both tax returns and make sure that income is not declared double, that the correct tax credits and deductions are claimed and that the deadlines are met.   Both tax returns will be prepared by our quali... Read More
US non residents also have the obligation, since tax year 2011, to report a Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets.
Viewed 6531 times since Tue, Feb 28, 2012
Separate and apart from U.S. taxpayer's obligations to annually file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (Form TD F 90-22.1, FBAR) with the U.S. Department of Treasury, certain U.S. non-resident aliens and non-resident aliens who... Read More
I am living in the Netherlands and have a US savings account. Do I have to file a US tax return?
Viewed 4762 times since Tue, Feb 7, 2012
Question   I am not an American citizen and I lived in USA for almost 7 years and filed taxes during all this time. I came back to my home country 2 years ago and left in US a savings account open and some stocks in a brokerage ba... Read More
Can Expatax e-file my tax return or do I have to mail it to the States?
Viewed 6074 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
Electronic filing is included in our fees for your 1040. Of course, if you prefer to paper file your tax return, that is possible also. Read More
When is the due date of my US tax return?
Viewed 6294 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
The usual due date of a 1040 is April 15th, but if you reside overseas, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return until June 15. However, any tax due must be paid by the original return due date (April 15) to avoid interest ... Read More
What are the penalties if I file my US tax return too late or pay my US tax too late?
Viewed 15315 times since Thu, Nov 24, 2011
Penalties (US) Late filing If you do not file your return by the due date (including extensions), the penalty is usually 5% of the amount due for each month or part of a month your return is late, unless you have a reasonable explanation. If you do... Read More
Why should I file my US tax return as soon as possible?
Viewed 6156 times since Thu, Nov 24, 2011
There are two advantages to filing as soon as possible: Generally, if a taxpayer is due a refund for withholding or estimated taxes paid, it must be claimed within 3 years of the return due date or risk losing the right to it. The same rule ap... Read More
I have not filed my US tax return. What happens if I don’t file it?
Viewed 6723 times since Thu, Nov 24, 2011
The IRS is taking enforcement steps for those who repeatedly choose not to comply with the law. IRS employees will prepare returns when taxpayers do not file. The returns prepared by the IRS might not give credit for deductions and exemptions a ta... Read More