Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Writing yourself off the Dutch system


My boyfriend has left Holland last year for good, but he didnt write himself off the system at the time. Now he finds himself with a bill for tax for work he never did, and debts with the insurance system for time that he didn‘t even spend in Holland.

My questions are:
  • How do you write yourself off the system in Holland, as in, how do you declare yourself living abroad permanently?
  • Also, how do you then deal with argueing the bill for health insurance while being abroad?
  • Also, is there a charity, or any office that can give you free or cheap help on how to deal with tax bills that aren‘t correct, and contesting these bills to the tax system?
Thanks a lot for your help.


Deregistration indeed has to take place in person at the town hall.

He may try to end the registration by sending a letter to the municipality outlining the situation and by declaring when he actually left. Problem is though that the deregistration will not be done in the past. It may be good to include a copy passport in the letter so that they can see that it is his letter and also proof of registration in his current country.

Objection can be filed against the claims from the Dutch tax authorities. He will then have to proof that he registered outside the Netherlands and ended his links with the Netherlands. The objection can be made in English and needs to be sent to the address on the tax claims. The health insurance company also bases their claim on the registration in the Netherlands. Expatax can help but we charge per hour.  I am not aware of an organisation which will help for free.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Tax rate and tax brackets in the Netherlands - how is tax calculated?
Viewed 15305 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
Claiming tax back as a student with a part time job
Viewed 105409 times since Wed, Jun 26, 2013
Travel calendar 2013: claim a tax exemption for foreign workdays
Viewed 8511 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Tax on income from foreign (Sri Lanka) project
Viewed 15277 times since Thu, Jan 10, 2013
What are the tax rates in the Netherlands?
Viewed 12915 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
What is the average gross dutch income in 2013?
Viewed 12636 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2366 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013
Protective assessment upon emigration
Viewed 7987 times since Fri, Feb 21, 2014
I will change address. How can I inform the tax authorities?
Viewed 8881 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
I want to buy a holiday house in Spain. What are the tax consequences in the Netherlands?
Viewed 4829 times since Thu, Apr 26, 2012