Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Working as a foreign physiotherapist in the Netherlands


I am a South African Physiotherapist (Afrikaans) that would like to work in Netherland for a year or two.
Would you please advise me on which procedures I need to follow to apply for jobs as well as become eligible to work in the Netherlands?
At the moment I have no knowledge about the procedures at all.

Thank you in advance.


As a physiotherapist you must be registered to be able to perform your job. The CIBG administers the registration of healthcare professionals (like physiotherapists, dentists, doctors etc.) in the so called BIG-register, doing so on behalf of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. They also issue a Declaration of Professional Competence to care providers wishing to practise in the Netherlands on the basis of a diploma awarded in another country.

You can find more info about the register on

You will also need a residence/work permit. For more info see the website of the Dutch immigration service:


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (15)
Comment by saphysiogirl on Sat, Sep 24th, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Hi! I am also from SA and qualified here, but I have a Dutch passport. What regulations would apply to me to work in The Netherlands?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Oct 17th, 2016 at 12:42 PM
If you have a Dutch passport then you don‘t need a residence permit. But you must also be registered in the BIG register after you arrive in the Netherlands if you want to work as a healthcare professional.
Comment by Mech on Mon, Dec 19th, 2016 at 5:51 AM
Im a filipino licensed physiotherapist working in one of the biggest hospital in UAE. I just wanna know how i am going to apply a job in netherlands. I am interested to work and stay in amsterdam.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 3:15 PM
You need a job offer first and then your Dutch employer must apply for a work and residence permit. A permit can be difficult to get if there are already sufficient physiotherapists either in the Netherlands or in the EU.
Comment by lipi on Mon, May 15th, 2017 at 9:08 PM
hi, I am a certified physiotherapist with masters in physiotherapy , musculoskeletal branch. I am also a certified manual therapist and taping expert. I am interested to work in Amsterdam. could you tell me how to go about the same??
Comment by Priya Versm on Thu, Jun 1st, 2017 at 9:18 PM
Hi....I am a Indian Physiotherapist working in a hospital in Delhi....I just want to know how to apply for job in Amsterdam.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Jun 13th, 2017 at 1:22 PM
You first need to find an employer who wants to contract you. To be able to work in the Netherlands you must have a work permit. See the link to the IND or contact an immigration lawyer. If you are an EU national you don‘t need a work permit. After that you need to register with the BIG so that you are recognized as a professional physiotherapist.
Comment by sanila on Thu, Aug 31st, 2017 at 6:18 AM
Hi! I am an Indian physiotherapist. I am doing my masters and it will be completed on coming December. I want to work in the Netherlands. Can u tell me what is the procedure? Do I need experience and IELTS?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Sep 26th, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Expatax doesn‘t offer immigration services, so I advise you to contact an immigration lawyer who can help you in detail with the procedure.
Comment by Zheng Yu on Thu, Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:47 AM
Hi, may I know if I can work as a physiotherapist in the Netherlands if I don‘t speak any Dutch?
Comment by Zheng Yu on Wed, Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:34 AM
Hi, may I know if you can register as a physiotherapist in the NL if you do not speak any Dutch? Appreciate your reply. Thanks!
Comment by Philip Sin on Mon, Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:08 PM
Do I need a work permit if I have a branch in Netherlands?
Comment by Abhishek Mandlik on Thu, Jun 21st, 2018 at 10:26 AM
Hi, I am completing by Graduation in Physiotherapy in India and would like to study Master‘s program in Netherlands and work there as Physiotherapist. Will I become eligible to get Work Permit after doing this PG course ?
Comment by Aparna on Wed, Jul 25th, 2018 at 8:01 PM
Hello ! I am an Indian physiotherapist who has completed her master‘s from Oslo. What documents do you suggest I need to work in Netherlands ? My husband had a work permit there and I am on dependent visa presently. Does that suffice when I get my personal number ? I need to have Dutch language certificate before getting an authorisation ?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Sep 26th, 2018 at 5:45 PM
Expatax doesn‘t offer immigration services. We don‘t arrange work permits. For this you will need to contact an immigration lawyer.
Security Code Security Code