Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Will my employer take care of my personal income tax return or will I have to do it?

Your employer will not take care of your personal income tax return.
An employer has to take care of the payroll administration and make sure that the right amount of wage tax and premiums social security are withheld and paid to the tax authorities according to the wage tax law. An employer is not liable to file an income tax return for an employee. This is explicitly separated. Your employer is not aware of your personal situation. This is private. In the payroll administration only the work related deductions are made. So any personal deductions will need to be claimed in the income tax return.
You will have to file the tax return yourself, or with the help of Expatax. Your employer will provide a year end statement showing the taxable salary and the withheld wage tax / premiums social security. This year end statement will be included in the income tax return.
Your employer can of course hire Expatax to assist all (international) employees with their tax return. Your employer can contact us to make an arrangement with mutual benefits.

Benefits of hiring Expatax:

    • Specialized in assisting expats
    • Experience with international taxation, payroll, social security
    • For over 10 years already
    • Filing more than 2,000 tax returns per year
    • Reasonable fees
    • Working for big international clients
    • Expert on Expatica, working with IamExpat, DutchNews, World Bank, Expatcenters etc.
    • Free information in our Knowledge Base, blog, newsletter, social media and of course on
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
M form deadline has passed , what to do ?
Viewed 4547 times since Mon, Feb 24, 2014
I forgot to file a tax return. Can I still file one?
Viewed 4186 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
Can I file a tax return if I only have a sofinumber and not a BSN?
Viewed 4099 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
What is the deadline for filing a tax return?
Viewed 12475 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Dutch tax authorities threaten with jail when the income tax return is repeatedly not filed.
Viewed 3159 times since Wed, Jun 13, 2012
Will I get a fine if I don’t file my tax return in time?
Viewed 2842 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
Bank savings and 30% ruling. Foreign bank accounts. What to declare?
Viewed 24563 times since Mon, Jan 16, 2012
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 39553 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011
Can I get a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 3165 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011