Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Where should I pay tax on my salary? In Spain where my employer is based or in the Netherlands where I work?


I am looking for somebody who can assist me with some tax-related matters.

I am working for a Spanish company, with a Spanish contract, but my company has moved me to the Netherlands to work for another company inside the same holding since I started with them last August. Where should I pay my income taxes? Physically I am working in the Netherlands, but the contract and the company are both Spanish and it is the Spanish company who is paying for my services. Is there any tax that I should pay in the Netherlands?


Since you are actually working in the Netherlands you will have to pay tax in the Netherlands on the income you receive from your Spanish employer. Being a resident of the Netherlands you are already taxed here on your world wide income, which is only different based on a higher right of another country based for example on an applicable tax treaty. Like the standard tax treaty the tax treaty between the Netherlands and Spain divides the right to tax your salary to the Netherlands based on the place of work.

Being an employee it is the responsibility of your employer to arrange the withholding of wage tax on the salary which is paid to you. This means that your employer must register with the Dutch tax authorities as a foreign employer and set up a payroll administration in the Netherlands. If your employer has arranged an A1 statement it is possible to keep the payment of social security contributions in Spain.

Expatax can arrange the registration and take care of the payroll administration. See also for more information about the legal requirements and our services.

It is also possible that you are put on the payroll of the company to which you are seconded but this will require additional work with respect to the applicable employment contract, reimbursement of costs etc.

Since you are seconded within the same group of companies the so called 183 days ruling will not be applicable either. So the fact that you work less than 183 days in a year in the Netherlands will not affect the obligation to set up a payroll administration in the Netherlands.

The above means that you will also have to file an income tax return in the Netherlands. Expatax can assist with that too.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by bozhidar bozhanov on Fri, Jan 24th, 2014 at 7:43 AM
The answer mentions that the person is a resident of NL. But that might not be the case - he may still be resident of Spain. How does that change the tax situation?
Comment by Árjan Enneman on Wed, Apr 8th, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Relevant is where the work is done. If the person is working in NL but living in Spain, the standard situation based on the tax treaty is that the related income from employment in NL is taxed in NL. This depends on the actual work days. So if he is living in Spain he won‘t have to declare his world wide income in the Dutch tax return but only the income related to Dutch work days. For this the employer should put him on a Dutch payroll (unless there are only a few Dutch work days). If someone is working in NL for a couple of months then he will have to pay tax in NL on this income. But every case is different and requires investigation upfront.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
I have sold my house with a loss. Is this loss tax deductible?
Viewed 7971 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2961 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013
Tax on a second part time job in the Netherlands
Viewed 13620 times since Wed, Jun 13, 2012
How is income taxed in the Netherlands? Can you explain the box system?
Viewed 14630 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
I am sending money back to my family. Will this incur tax?
Viewed 12337 times since Thu, Feb 2, 2012
Dutch taxation on uk properties
Viewed 4092 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
I will change address. How can I inform the tax authorities?
Viewed 9749 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
Can I get a copy of the Dutch tax assessments for previous years?
Viewed 1422 times since Fri, Nov 6, 2015
Brochure: Payroll Services
Viewed 4228 times since Mon, Nov 7, 2011
Is child maintenance deduction compatible with childcare allowance
Viewed 12140 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013