Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

When can you get an Anw benefit?

If your partner has died

If your partner dies, you are bound to go through a difficult time. You will have to deal with all sorts of things, and it may be very hard to focus your mind. Your partner's death could also have financial consequences for you. The government has created the Anw survivor benefit scheme to ensure that survivors have a basic income. The SVB will see to it that you receive the right amount on time.

Anw dependent child allowance if you have a child under 18

You will get a dependent child allowance if:

  • your partner lived or worked in the Netherlands, and
  • you have not yet reached the AOW pension age, and
  • you look after your own child, a foster child or a stepchild under 18 who is also a child of the deceased parent

The dependent child allowance is a fixed monthly amount. It does not depend on your income or the number of children in your family.

You may be able to get an Anw survivor benefit in addition to the dependent child allowance. It makes no difference whether you were married to your late partner or living with him or her as part of an unmarried couple.

Anw benefit if you do not have children under 18

If you do not have children under 18, you will get an Anw survivor benefit if:

  • you were born before 1 January 1950 or you are more than 45% disabled for work, and
  • your partner lived or worked in the Netherlands, and
  • you have not yet reached the AOW pension age.

A married couple is treated the same as two unmarried individuals living together.

Other income will be deducted from your survivor benefit

If you do not have any other income, you will receive the full Anw survivor benefit. If you do have other income, it will be deducted in full or in part from your Anw survivor benefit.

The amount of the dependent child allowance does not depend on other income you may receive. Other income will not be deducted from the dependent child allowance. However, if you have another benefit, e.g. a national assistance benefit, the dependent child allowance may be deducted from that benefit. Your benefit agency will be able to tell you more about this.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
General Survivor’s Benefits Act
Viewed 2155 times since Thu, Nov 15, 2012