Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

When can I expect to receive my tax refund?

After filing the tax return, it should take around two or three months for the tax authorities to send you a tax assessment. But because of problems with the computer system, the complexity of tax returns and with the amount of work it often takes a lot more time. Especially the foreign tax office in Heerlen needs a lot of time. If you have the 30% ruling you will fall under the foreign tax office.

Average timeframe for the foreign tax office to deal with tax returns is up to a year. Especially M forms and C forms take a lot of time. An M form is filed when you were not in the Netherlands the whole year, a C form is filed when you were living outside the Netherlands but had income or assets in the Netherlands. For the period between the end of the tax year and the day you will receive the tax assessment the tax authorities will pay you interest.

First you get a provisional tax assessment and after a while a final tax assessment. So receiving a provisional tax assessment (voorlopige aanslag) doesn't mean that the tax authorities agree with your tax return. They just pay you the money.

Unfortunately the foreign tax office often doesn't cooperate if they are requested to just issue a provisional assessment in advance so that a refund can be received earlier.

If you would like to know the status you can always call the international helpline of the tax authorities on 0031 (0) 55-538 53 85. However, the only thing they can see in their system is whether a tax return has been received, but they have no idea when it will be processed, unless a tax assessment will be send to you on short notice.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (1)
Comment by Tanmay on Mon, Mar 21st, 2016 at 11:05 AM
hello I am a indian expat and i was in NL for 4 months in 2015 spring, in Mar2016 i have filled tax returns with one private tax agency,now this agency is saying that tax office will contact you by letters not by email, so my question is where does this tax office contacts me ? whether on NL address or indian address, i am afraid they should not contact me on NL address as I have left NL in june2015 only. can someone please help me here ??
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
How is income from Google Adsense taxed?
Viewed 6741 times since Sun, Feb 10, 2013
I need to pay my tax in the Netherlands for the first time. What do I have to do?
Viewed 5943 times since Wed, Mar 14, 2012
Tax return
Viewed 2446 times since Thu, Dec 6, 2012
I pay premiums into a long term savings plan. Which value should I declare under the savings in Box 3?
Viewed 4006 times since Tue, Jun 25, 2013
What is an M form?
Viewed 11677 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Can I object against a tax assessment which I have received?
Viewed 13463 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Request for a "voorlopige teruggaaf" filed by mistake
Viewed 5367 times since Thu, Mar 14, 2013
I moved to and from the Netherlands in the same year. Which tax form should I file?
Viewed 2047 times since Fri, Mar 7, 2014
Aangifte 2012 m
Viewed 4099 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
Filing NL tax return while living in Qatar and entitled to future Dutch pension
Viewed 1156 times since Fri, Oct 16, 2015