Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

When am I entitled to childcare allowance?

To qualify for the childcare allowance you must satisfy the following constraints:
Personal situation
  • You have the Dutch nationality, or you have a valid residence permit, or you live in (or come from) a EU member state, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland
  • You have one or more resident children for whom you receive child allowance (kinderbijslag) or foster parent allowance. If you don't receive such allowance you must contribute to the costs of living of the child(ren) for at least € 408 per quarter per child.
  • Your child goes to a childcare organisation which is registered in the National Registration Childcare ("Landelijk Register Kinderopvang"). This can be a day nursery/creche, out-of-school care ("buitenschoolse opvang") or guest parent bureau ("gastouderbureau"), or a guest parent which is registered with a guest parent bureau.
  • Both the guest parent and the guest parent bureau must be registered with the National Registration Childcare.
  • The child for whom you request a childcare allowance, must not yet go to secondary school.
  • You or your partner pays the costs of the childcare.
Your employment situation
  • You work (for an employer, as an entrepreneur or in the business of your partner). Or:
  • You receive a contribution from the municipality or the UWV based on the Childcare Act 

These constraints are also applicable to your allowance partner.

See also:


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Childcare allowance in 2012. What are the changes?
Viewed 3534 times since Thu, Dec 22, 2011
Which changes in my situation should I report?
Viewed 1382 times since Sat, Dec 3, 2011
Is child maintenance deduction compatible with childcare allowance
Viewed 11614 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
How much childcare allowance can I get?
Viewed 4393 times since Sat, Dec 3, 2011