What is the deadline for filing a tax return?
Invitation to file a tax return in the Netherlands
The tax authorities send out the invitations to file a tax return from January each year. The invitation can be sent later though. If you have received an invitation to file a tax return a deadline will be applicable. The deadline is mentioned on the invitation. It is important that you check your personal details which are mentioned on the invitation.
The normal deadline to file a tax return is May 1 (before 2014 the deadline was April 1). If a foreign period is involved the normal deadline is July 1. The deadline must at least be a month from the moment you receive the invitation. The deadline can be extended by filing a request for a time extension. If Expatax will prepare the tax return we will put your tax return on the special time extension agreement we have with the tax authorities. This way the deadline is extended to May 1 of the following year. But whether you file before May 1 or not, it is important to take action.
You did not receive an invitation to file a tax return
If you haven't received an invitation to file a tax return you don't have to worry about the May 1 or July 1 deadline. In that case a deadline is not applicable. However, if you know that you will have to pay additional income tax, for example in case you earned income which was not yet taxed at source in the Netherlands, like freelance income or income from abroad, you will have to request a tax return if you did not receive an invitation before August 1.
- Deadlines for filing tax returns in the Netherlands in 2015 for individuals and businesses - which tax returns need to be filed and when?
- I haven’t received a tax return, do I still need to file one?
- I forgot to file a tax return. Can I still file one?
- Can I get a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?
- What is the deadline for filing a Dutch tax return if you have the 30% ruling?
- In which situations are you entitled to a tax refund in the Netherlands?