Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

What are the requirements if we want to send employees to the Netherlands?

Posting employees to the Netherlands

Step by step guide from the Ministry of Finance

What needs to be done when employees are sent to the Netherlands?

1. Check whether your employees meet the conditions for residence in the Netherlands

Your employees may need a residence permit or a visa to reside in the Netherlands. They must register with the local municipal authority if they remain in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months.

2. Check whether your employees have the professional qualifications required in the Netherlands

Certain professions may only be practised in the Netherlands if your employees have the correct certificate. They must have this certificate officially recognised by the competent authority in the country where they obtained it.

3. Apply for work permits

You must apply for work permits for your employees if they are from outside the EEA/Switzerland or from Romania or Bulgaria. If your business is based in the EEA or Switzerland, however, these work permits will not be required but you do have a duty of notification.

4. Find accommodation for employees with a work permit

You are obliged to find suitable accommodation for employees who need a work permit. In doing so, you must comply with the rules of the municipality where your employees will be working.

5. Apply for E101/A1 statements

If your employees work in the Netherlands on a temporary basis, they can sometimes remain insured for social security purposes in the country where your business is based. For this purpose you will need to apply for an E101/A1 statement.

6. Check whether your employees must take out healthcare insurance

If your employees cannot obtain E101/A1 statements, they will be insured for social security purposes in the Netherlands and you must withhold the relevant contributions from their wages. In that case, your employees will also be obliged to take out healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.

7. Register with the Dutch tax authorities

In most cases, you are obliged to pay payroll tax in the Netherlands for your employees. Sometimes you must also pay VAT. For this purpose you must register with the Dutch tax authorities.

8. Apply for tax and social insurance numbers from the tax authorities

To be able to pay payroll tax, you will need each employee’s citizen service number or tax and social insurance number. They have to collect this number personally

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Taxation of a company car
Viewed 7188 times since Thu, Nov 26, 2015
What is a CAO?
Viewed 9247 times since Sat, Feb 16, 2013
How long is the probation period in a Dutch employment contract?
Viewed 11808 times since Wed, Feb 22, 2012
What is the minimum wage in the Netherlands in 2017?
Viewed 7581 times since Tue, Jun 13, 2017
What kind of questions can be asked during a job interview?
Viewed 7173 times since Thu, Dec 8, 2011
Employers levy on high salaries above
Viewed 5380 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
I have staff working in the Netherlands. My client requires a "G account". What is it?
Viewed 3373 times since Fri, Feb 17, 2012
Legally regulated terms of employment and social security for part-time workers in the Netherlands
Viewed 11292 times since Wed, Feb 19, 2014
From 1 January 2012 the requirements with regards to delaying a day off change.
Viewed 2915 times since Mon, Nov 7, 2011
Last year I did not have a VAR which qualified my income towards my client. Do I still need to get one?
Viewed 5320 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012