Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Tax relief for a mortgage after emigration from the Netherlands


I am considering leaving the Netherlands permanently. I will continue to pay my mortgage personally from overseas and have a friend register with the gemeente as a person who will look after the property. Will I still be able to claim the tax relief on my mortgage if I continue in this way?

Tax relief for a mortgage is possible if the property is used as your main residence. If you leave the Netherlands the property will no longer be your main residence and you will lose the right to deduct the mortgage interest. 
House for sale
You can only continue to deduct the interest if the house is for sale and not being used by someone. It doesn‘t matter whether the property is rented out or somebody lives there for free. The tax authorities will check the municipality register to see if somebody is living there and will ask you for proof if you claim that the property is out for sale. This means that in your case you would lose the tax relief when you leave the Netherlands. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Wijnen on Mon, Mar 20th, 2017 at 10:28 PM
If we leave NL and not paying tax for 2017 in NL (instead paying in another EU country), house is sold in June 2017, will I have to return the provisional tax relief for Jan-June 2017?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Jun 20th, 2017 at 1:54 PM
If you didn‘t have taxable income in 2017 then indeed there is nothing to deduct the interest from which means you will have to pay back the provisional refund.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Should I also send you the big blue envelope I received from the tax authorities?
Viewed 2840 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
When can I expect to receive my tax refund?
Viewed 10394 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2892 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013
Aangifte 2012 m
Viewed 4158 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
Is it time to file your 2013 tax return in the Netherlands?
Viewed 2680 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Can some tax company deceive me about my tax return? Can they change my bank details
Viewed 14484 times since Mon, Feb 25, 2013
New mortgage rules in 2014 - tax and legal consequences
Viewed 11101 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Will I lose the mortgage relief for my house if I buy a second property?
Viewed 3275 times since Mon, Oct 28, 2013
My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?
Viewed 2869 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012