Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Tax refund for international student


I once read somewhere that for an international student who graduated from the university in the Netherlands and then work as high skill migrant in the Netherlands can get the tax refund when they work because they will pay tax. Is that true? And could you help regarding the paper work? Many thanks.
Education costs are indeed deductible in the year of payment. If you were in the Netherlands at that moment the costs are indeed deductible. If you did not have an income in that year the costs will lead to a "remainder personal deduction". This remainder can be used in a later year with income. This means that a tax return needs to be filed for the years in which you paid education costs and the years in which you earned an income.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (4)
Comment by aghayev on Sun, Jun 15th, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Dear Arjan, what if I received scholarship from my home country (non-eu), Is scholarship tax deductible ?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Thu, Oct 15th, 2015 at 10:34 AM
A received scholarship should reduce the possible tax deduction.
Comment by kinga on Sat, May 27th, 2017 at 2:49 PM
Hello! I have another question. If I‘m a student in the netherlands can I apply for tax refund which I pay with my salary at work?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Jun 20th, 2017 at 1:51 PM
As a student you can also claim a tax refund if the wage tax which was withheld on your salary was too high or if you can claim a tax deduction.
Security Code Security Code