Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected

Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected
From 1 January 2014, a number of tax rules changed. For example the general tax credit and the employment tax credit became income dependent. The changes became final after the tax authorities had sent the preliminary assessments for 2014, which could not be adjusted anymore. 
Because the changes also couldn’t be reflected fully in the salary systems of employers and benefit institutions, they also couldn’t take sufficient account of the changes in the general tax credit and the employment tax credit. Because of this they may not have withheld enough wage tax from your wages or benefits.
The consequence is that you may have to pay additional tax or get back less than expected when you receive the tax assessment over 2014. 
If you have to pay, you will get 4 months extra time to pay this assessment, in addition to the normal payment period of 6 weeks. This applies to all income tax claims for 2014 received after April 30, 2015 but before July 1, 2016.
How much do you have to pay?
Did you earn a gross income in 2014 of more than around € 20,000 and is one of the following two situations applicable:
• you received salary, pension and / or other benefits and also holiday pay, a 13 month or another special reward and / or
• you received other income, such as income from business or income from other activities

then you have to pay additional tax for 2014 or you will get back less than expected. The effects vary from person to person. The average amount is € 150. But it could also go up to € 300 or even € 700 depending on your income and situation.

Keep this in mind when the tax return is prepared.

Expatax can assist you with your tax return. See for our procedure.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2812 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013
File a tax return in the Netherlands as a couple or individually
Viewed 7688 times since Thu, Oct 18, 2012
Capital gains tax on property sale
Viewed 5382 times since Thu, Apr 12, 2012
Levensloop / life cycle savings - should I decide to take the whole amount as a lump sum now?
Viewed 1906 times since Fri, Jan 23, 2015
Can an entrepreneur get a time extension for payment of a tax claim?
Viewed 6709 times since Fri, Feb 22, 2013
Tax return for non resident working as freelancer for a Dutch company, mostly outside NL
Viewed 6556 times since Thu, Nov 8, 2012
When is the tax return due date?
Viewed 2550 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
How do I request a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 22098 times since Mon, Mar 18, 2013
Freelance tax return and 30% ruling
Viewed 4191 times since Sat, Feb 23, 2013
I want to buy a holiday house in Spain. What are the tax consequences in the Netherlands?
Viewed 5273 times since Thu, Apr 26, 2012