Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Request for a "voorlopige teruggaaf" filed by mistake

Dear sir or madam, while trying to file myself a tax return for 2012, I filed by mistake a request for a provisional assesment for the year 2012 (2 weeks ago). I also submitted with the help of a tax return consultant a good tax return for 2012 with the M form. Now I received a letter from the belastingdienst asking me for my account number in order to proceed with the provisional assesment for 2012. I realized that I should not have used the program I used since I moved in the Netherlands in 2012. Should I send a letter to the tax service in order to normalize the situation? Will they just ignore my request since its for 2012? Do you provide those services?

You mention that you filed a request for a provisional assessment for 2012. This seems strange since a request for a provisional assessment can only be filed for the current year, so for 2013. A request for 2012 can‘t be filed since that year already ended. Instead the applicable tax return must be filed. The tax authorities should indeed ignore the request.

The M form must be filed on paper and can‘t be filed electronically.

The tax authorities will have received something they can process since they have sent you a request to provide your bank account number. You will have to provide the account number any way to receive the refund based on the M form which was filed for you.

If you did file a request for a provisional assessment you can cancel it again by filing another request showing a nil result. But you can wait with this till you receive a tax assessment from the tax authorities. You can also file a letter of objection once you received the tax assessment.

Check the correspondence which you receive(d) from the tax authorities thoroughly.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
I would like to have my tax return for 2011 be completed by Expatax.
Viewed 3713 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
Travel calendar 2013: claim a tax exemption for foreign workdays
Viewed 8827 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
When is the tax return due date?
Viewed 2435 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
Tax on income earned abroad
Viewed 3957 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
How is income from Google Adsense taxed?
Viewed 6465 times since Sun, Feb 10, 2013
Aangifte 2012 m
Viewed 3984 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
From which date can I request a provisional refund for next year?
Viewed 10424 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Double tax agreement implications - working in the Netherlands and in the UK at the same time
Viewed 20911 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
What type of tax forms are available?
Viewed 2559 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011