Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Reimbursement of residence permit for family


Dear sir/ madam

I am a non-EU working in the Netherlands and I have been granted the 30% ruling. Can my employer reimburse the extension of the residence permit of my family members as extra territorial costs or do I have the right to be reimbursed free of tax even if I have the 30% ruling?


The costs of a residence permit are considered extra territorial costs and as such fall under the 30% ruling. This means that your employer can‘t pay you a tax free reimbursement of the cost of the residence permits on top of the tax free 30% allowance unless all the extra territorial costs together are more than the 30% allowance in a year.

See also Which costs can be considered to be extra territorial costs?

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed