Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Paid from Holland - living and working in UK now


I’m looking for someone who can assist with tax matters.

I am a UK National/citizen, last year I lived and worked in Netherlands (have SoFi number) for a Dutch company. From Jan 1st this year I have moved back to live and work in UK but I continue to be employed by the Dutch company.


I think I have the option of paying Dutch tax (maybe I am then eligible for the 30% ruling).

I am sure you understand the types of questions I am thinking of and why I would like assistance from a professional in NL tax matters.

Can you assist?


As long as you work in the Netherlandsyou will have to pay tax on your salary in the Netherlands the same way as when you were living in theNetherlands. If you had the 30% ruling at that time then it should still be applicable. You however mention that you do not work in the Netherlands anymore but in the UK now. Since you are also living in the UK, the UK will tax your world wide income unless another country has a higher right to tax certain income based on the applicable tax treaty. The tax treaty between the UK and the Netherlands divides the right to tax income from employment to the country in which the work is actually performed. So although you are employed by a Dutch employer, you are fully taxable in the UK on your entire income. So your Dutch employer will have to set up a payroll administration in the UK for you.

Since there is no taxable income left in the Netherlands it is not possible to opt for taxation in the Netherlands and secure the 30% ruling.

It may be possible that your Dutch employer has arranged an A1 statement indicating that you are still paying premiums social security in the Netherlands.  

See also: Double tax agreement implications - working in the Netherlands and in the UK at the same time


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
What are the tax rates in the Netherlands?
Viewed 13356 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Can I apply for the 30% ruling if I have a foreign employer?
Viewed 3429 times since Wed, Mar 21, 2012
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2610 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013
I want to buy a property outside the Netherlands. What are the tax consequences?
Viewed 3867 times since Tue, Jan 10, 2012
Tax on a second part time job in the Netherlands
Viewed 11060 times since Wed, Jun 13, 2012
Financial amounts from the Netherlands for the years 2009-2012: tax rates, compensations, exemptions etc.
Viewed 5825 times since Thu, Dec 29, 2011
What is the tax year in the Netherlands?
Viewed 2761 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
Can an entrepreneur get a time extension for payment of a tax claim?
Viewed 6517 times since Fri, Feb 22, 2013
Within which time span will the tax authorities have to send me a tax assessment?
Viewed 5472 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?
Viewed 2645 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012