Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

My partner is not living in the Netherlands but needs a BSN. How can we get it?

I am working in the Netherlands. My partners stayed in my home country and has no income. Because of this we want to claim the personal tax credit for the non earning partner but to be able to do this a BSN is required. How can we get it?

In principle your partner needs to request a BSN in person at one of the applicable municipalities. But since your partner is not living in the Netherlands the BSN can also be requested with a written request (see attachment). The following information must be sent together with the request:
  • a copy of a valid identity paper which show name, initials and date of birth;
  • an official declaration from the municipality (less than 6 months old) which confirms the address of your partner;
  • a copy of the marriage deed if you are married, the partnership deed if you are registered partners or a living together agreement made by a notary if you are living together. 


Only documents in the Dutch, English or German language are accepted. If they are in another language then you need to arrange a translation.

The request and all documents can be sent to:

Belastingdienst/Kantoor Buitenland
Afdeling Klantregistratie
Postbus 29
6400 AA Heerlen

Attached Files (1)
Comments (2)
Comment by kath on Tue, Oct 25th, 2016 at 6:35 AM
i had vacation in netherland with my daughter, father is dutch we registered her there even if i am not take a dutch exam, and i signed in municipal about my daughter can stay with the father, and i am afraid that if we live there and have problems i cannot back to my country with my daughter, because i think my husband planned this to leave my daughter there. What can i do to know things in dutch law
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Fri, Oct 28th, 2016 at 2:39 PM
Registration in the Netherlands doesn‘t affect the legal rights you have towards your daughter as parent. I am not an expert with respect to this question though, so you may want to get advice from an authority in this field.
Security Code Security Code