Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?

Your child will be taxed for his or her own income. So the income will not be included in your tax return. As the income will often be relatively low - most of the times it concerns part time jobs - the tax to be paid will also stay low. This is due to the applicable tax credits and lower rate in the first tax brackets. If the employer has withheld wage tax it may therefore be beneficial to file a tax return.
If the income goes up, the tax to be paid may also go up but, more important, the income may also affect the entitlement to child allowance ("kinderbijslag") or education allowance ("studiefinanciering"). So determine what your child can earn in such situation. This depends on age and living situation.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Tax relief for a mortgage after emigration from the Netherlands
Viewed 20625 times since Wed, Jan 29, 2014
I would like to have my tax return for 2011 be completed by Expatax.
Viewed 3908 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
What is the 4% notional income in box 3?
Viewed 4317 times since Tue, Jun 25, 2013
Capital gains tax on property sale
Viewed 5873 times since Thu, Apr 12, 2012
Tax for married people. Will tax on my income be higher if my partner finds a job?
Viewed 2268 times since Mon, Oct 20, 2014
Taxation of 13th month, holiday allowance and pension fund
Viewed 16783 times since Thu, Sep 5, 2013
Who can be fiscal partners?
Viewed 13941 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Tax for capital gains. Is it applicable in the Netherlands and if so, in which situations?
Viewed 32346 times since Wed, Mar 14, 2012
Should I also send you the big blue envelope I received from the tax authorities?
Viewed 2837 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
How is income taxed in the Netherlands? Can you explain the box system?
Viewed 14312 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011