Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Is paying the college education cost of my son considered a (taxable) gift?


I am paying for my children's (above 18 years) UK college fees as well as living expenses. Are these expenses considered as gifts? Am I or my children liable to pay any gift tax? We are all Dutch citizens now and we have no 30% ruling.


A parent has to take care of his child. This obligation ends on the 21st birthday of the child (in case of study on the 27th birthday). Sometimes financial support is considered to be a gift, sometimes not. Where is the line?

If your child can't pay the study, then your support is in principle not considered to be a gift. Besides that you can already give € 5,277 (amount for 2015) to your child tax free each year without having to declare anything. There is an additional increased tax free gift possible of € 25,322 which can be agreed if the age of the child is between 18 and 40. If the gift is made for a study, the additional increased tax free exemption can even be € 52,752. This increased exemption applies if the study (without costs of living) costs at least € 20,000 per year. These amounts are adjusted annually. You will have to get the agreement with your child registered with a notary. In the document you can define for which study you made the donation and what the expected costs are. The gift will be transferred under the condition that the study is started within 2 years.

The donation is not tax deductible for the parent and not taxable as income for the child (at least under Dutch tax rules).

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
What are the tax rates in 2012?
Viewed 3042 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Tax rate and tax brackets in the Netherlands - how is tax calculated?
Viewed 16142 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
Travel calendar 2013: claim a tax exemption for foreign workdays
Viewed 9219 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
I live abroad and changed address. How do I inform the Dutch tax authorities of my new address?
Viewed 4798 times since Sat, Feb 16, 2013
I will change address. How can I inform the tax authorities?
Viewed 9631 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
How is a second home in the Netherlands taxed? It is owned by a non-resident.
Viewed 24957 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
What is the average gross dutch income in 2013?
Viewed 13819 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
Tax on a second part time job in the Netherlands
Viewed 12978 times since Wed, Jun 13, 2012
Can I help my sister to buy a property in the Netherlands? What are the #tax consequences?
Viewed 4523 times since Tue, Jan 10, 2012
Protective assessment upon emigration
Viewed 8413 times since Fri, Feb 21, 2014