Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Is it allowed to rent a commercial property for a non resident of the Netherlands?


I have an idea to open a hostel in the Netherlands. I‘d like to register a company like llc. The point is that I am not a resident of the Netherlands, I live in Moscow and I‘m a Russian citizen. So firstly I have to rent a commercial property to set up a business, right? But is it allowed to rent a commercial property for a non resident of the country?


A limited company indeed requires an address in the Netherlands. For this a commercial property can be rented here. Also non residents can rent (or buy) a commercial property in the Netherlands. It will be a business agreement between you (and your company) and the owner of the property in the Netherlands. The owner can decide whether they want to rent out the property to you and if so under which conditions. This is open for negotiation. Dutch law doesn‘t prevent non residents from renting a commercial property in the Netherlands (unless your country would be on an international "black" list, which Russia is not). 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Hendrik bezuidenhout on Sat, Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:02 PM
I am south African I want to open a business. Rent a house use it to live in permanent register it for business open a restaurant 10 people wine sales artwork sales.send me procedures to do this please
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Thu, Aug 10th, 2017 at 3:19 PM
First step which you will have to take is to arrange a permit to be able to stay in the Netherlands. Getting a residence permit based on a restaurant business may be difficult. An immigration lawyer should be able to provide you with more information.
Security Code Security Code