Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

International schools fees refund (children)


I have read that my employer may refund (tax free) the fees for my 4 yo son‘s international school fee. What are the steps to be taken, then?


I guess you refer to the article:

If you have the 30% ruling and your son goes to an international school it is indeed allowed that your employer covers the costs of the international school of your son which remains tax free for you on top of the tax free allowance you already receive. But your employer is by no means obligated to cover the costs. This purely depends on your employer‘s internal policies or the applicable central labour agreement.

If your employer is willing to help you this is just a favour from their side, you can‘t claim or demand anything. You may just start the discussion and ask about their policy with respect to the reimbursement of international school fees. If there is no policy or if your employer just doesn‘t want to pay a reimbursement or deal with the extra administration you will have to accept that. So I don‘t say you are entitled to it, but just asking will not harm you. If they cooperate you need to hand over the invoice you received so that they can calculate the reimbursement.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by simone on Fri, Mar 7th, 2014 at 1:38 PM
My husband already used up the 30% ruling, but now the company would like him to relocate back to the Netherlands. We now have 3 young children, Will be nice to know if there is anyway we can have international school fee deduction. My oldest moved to UK when she was 4 and now she is 8, She can not really go back to Dutch school straight and government supported English school has a long waiting list. Not sure what can we do financial wise.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Thu, Oct 15th, 2015 at 10:18 AM
The international school fees can only be reimbursed tax free by the employer if the 30% ruling is granted. If the 30% ruling is used up a tax free reimbursement is not possible. Any allowance would then be taxed. It is not possible either to claim a deduction in your tax return or to request an education allowance from the Dutch government.
Security Code Security Code