Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I would like to file an M form but forgot to deregister when I left the Netherlands

I am from Canada and worked in Amsterdam from April-July 2014. I did not realize that I had to deregister, so I did not receive an invitation to file a tax return. I have sent a letter of request to deregister to the Tax Office and I requested an M form from the Tax and Customs Administration at the end of June, but have not heard back or received the M form. I was wondering if you know how to acquire an M form or if you have an email address for someone at the Tax and Customs Administration who can help me out. I have tried calling the tax office non-resident line, but the automated voice only speaks Dutch which I do not understand. Thank you for your help.


Deregistration must be arranged with the municipality where you lived. The tax authorities can’t arrange this. They are linked to the municipality registers. So I advise you to contact the municipality first to change your address. This way the tax authorities are also informed and can send the M form to you.

If you send a letter to the municipality include:

  • A copy of your passport
  • Mention your old address in the Netherlands and your current foreign address
  • The date of emigration
  • Your signature

If you wish we can prepare an M form with our tax software but that will of course lead to a fee from Expatax, see and

The tax authorities don’t have a public email address and indeed don’t speak English on the phone, not even on the international helpline (which is extremely strange undecided).


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Timeframe tax refund
Viewed 3626 times since Mon, May 14, 2012
I deregistered from the Netherlands in February 2014 but haven’t received the M form yet. Is that correct?
Viewed 2177 times since Wed, Apr 2, 2014
Can Expatax assist me with both my Dutch and US tax return?
Viewed 4924 times since Tue, Jan 17, 2012
I forgot to file a tax return. Can I still file one?
Viewed 3707 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
Can I file a tax return if I only have a sofinumber and not a BSN?
Viewed 3851 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
Bank savings and 30% ruling. Foreign bank accounts. What to declare?
Viewed 20793 times since Mon, Jan 16, 2012
M form not received - do I need it to file a tax return?
Viewed 1784 times since Wed, Apr 2, 2014
M form deadline has passed , what to do ?
Viewed 4085 times since Mon, Feb 24, 2014
Dutch tax refund
Viewed 2855 times since Thu, Aug 7, 2014