Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I may earn an income in two countries. Can I reduce tax rates this way?

I am wondering how it would affect my tax situation if I began to work in both England and Holland. Would I be able to keep myself in a low tax bracket in both countries, or are there rules about this kind of thing? I know that the tax rate steps up in Holland when you start earning 30-40K, am I better off doing some months in England every year?
Your suggestion sounds good, but it doesn't work this way.
First it must be determined which country is your principle residence. This country will have the right to tax your world wide income. This includes the income you have earned in another country. Currently you are living in the Netherlands. This means that the Netherlands has the right (or claims the right) to tax your income earned in the Netherlands and in the UK. The UK may also tax the income earned in the UK. Or even decide that the UK is your principle residence and tax your worldwide income. In that case there will be a discussion in which country you have the centre of your life. But let's assume that the UK will treat you as a non resident and accepts that you are living in the Netherlands.
In that case they may tax your income under the tax treaty between the Netherlands and the UK. Different rules apply to employment income and business income. If they do have the primary right to tax your UK income the Netherlands will have to grant an exemption to prevent double taxation. This exemption will however not exclude the income entirely, but only the tax related to this income. The UK income will be used to determine the tax brackets for your total income. So the progression in tax rates will remain. As a result you will still be confronted with a higher tax rate. You may benefit if the tax rate in the other country is much lower than the tax rate in the Netherlands. Important is that we first check whether a tax treaty is applicable and if so how taxation of certain income is divided and how exemptions to prevent double taxation are calculated.
Above that you will have to consider the premiums for the social security/national insurance which remain to be paid in the Netherlands since you are living and also working in the Netherlands at the same time.
Be aware that if foreign income is not reported to the Dutch tax authorities while you should report it, the fines (and interest) can be high if the tax authorities find out about this income later. The tax authorities can go back 5 years and if foreign income is involved even go back 12 years (which difference has been accepted by the Court of Justice).
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Are there specific tax credits or tax allowances for entrepreneurs?
Viewed 59036 times since Thu, Jun 6, 2013
What is the applicable tax rate? What should my employer withhold?
Viewed 23152 times since Thu, Nov 24, 2011
I receive alimony for my child. Is it tax free? #netherlands
Viewed 5786 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012
What is a non resident taxpayer?
Viewed 17033 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
Financial amounts from the Netherlands for the years 2009-2012: tax rates, compensations, exemptions etc.
Viewed 6246 times since Thu, Dec 29, 2011
Dutch taxes on foreign (US) accounts
Viewed 10413 times since Sat, Dec 8, 2012
Do I need to pay tax on maintenance or alimony which I received from my ex-partner?
Viewed 5109 times since Wed, Nov 14, 2012
My partner has no income, is she entitled to a refund or tax credit?
Viewed 30111 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
I will change address. How can I inform the tax authorities?
Viewed 9751 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011