Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I have staff working in the Netherlands. My client requires a "G account". What is it?

What is a G-account?


If you make staff available in the Dutch market, the recipient may request you to open a G-account. A G-account is a blocked bank account from which payments can be made only to the tax authorities. The purpose of the G-account is to prevent suppliers (read: employers) from evading payment of wage tax and social security contributions. Furthermore, by paying funds into a G-account in the prescribed manner, the recipient can restrict his liability. This is because the recipient can pay a part of the amount owed to you into your G-account.
Therefore, the recipient pays you for the services of the employee supplied exclusive of the payroll tax and employee insurance contributions presumably owed. The recipient pays the latter amount directly into your G-account.
If a recipient has transferred an amount to your G-account and all the 'rules' have been observed, he may derive a presumption of payment from that transfer. The rules require the recipient to perform various administrative operations. If the recipient pays an amount into your G-account in accordance with the rules, this means that he will not be held liable for that amount if you fail to pay the taxes and contributions. Whether and how a G-account is used, is up to the recipient and the supplier. It is recommended that advance arrangements be made on this point.

Opening a G-account 

You can open a G-account by concluding a 'recipient's liability G-account contract'. There are three parties to such a contract:
  • you, the supplier;
  • the bank with which the G-account is opened;
  • the tax authorities.
You can apply for a G-account by completing the 'Application for recipient's liability G-account' form. This form can be obtained from the tax authorities. Expatax can arrange this for you.
Instead of a G-account the client can also require an audit from a certified public accountant confirming that the payroll calculations were made based on the right assumptions and that the requirements were met. Expatax can perform these audits.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Do we have to offer a minimum salary to our part time director?
Viewed 3128 times since Fri, Aug 8, 2014
What are the rules with respect to vacation days?
Viewed 9094 times since Sun, Feb 17, 2013
What is a CAO?
Viewed 12526 times since Sat, Feb 16, 2013
What is the minimum wage in the Netherlands in 2017?
Viewed 12110 times since Tue, Jun 13, 2017
Brochure: Payroll Services
Viewed 4416 times since Mon, Nov 7, 2011
Where should I pay tax on my salary? In Spain where my employer is based or in the Netherlands where I work?
Viewed 5377 times since Wed, Jan 9, 2013
Working in the Netherlands temporary with an A1 statement which excludes Dutch social security contributions.
Viewed 27137 times since Wed, Jan 9, 2013
Taxation of a company car
Viewed 9608 times since Thu, Nov 26, 2015
What is the paydate of my salary?
Viewed 10076 times since Thu, Sep 27, 2012
Last year I did not have a VAR which qualified my income towards my client. Do I still need to get one?
Viewed 5540 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012