Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I am receiving a provisional refund every month. Can I change it?

Yes, it is possible to change the monthly refund.

If your situation changes during the course of the year

If your situation changes in any way during the year, a new request for a provisional refund can be submitted. The tax authorities will then adjust the amount of the provisional refund.

Your situation may change, for example:

  • as a consequences of a move
  • because you receive income that is not subject to payroll tax (such as alimony, freelance income, income derived from trade or business), or
  • if your status changes from a single parent to a partner for tax purposes during the course of the year.

This request will replace the previous filed request (which may have been filed several years ago). The amount of the new total provisional refund will be settled with the amounts you have already received during the year from the tax authorities.

Cancel a provisional refund

If you wish to stop the provisional refund, you should notify the tax authorities.

In the following situations, you must always notify the tax authorities:

  • if you are no longer in receipt of income in the Netherlands that is subject to payroll tax;
  • if the amount of your deductible items is reduced by a minimum of € 5,445.

If your name or address on the form is incorrect or incomplete

The form states your name and address as they are listed in the tax authorities records. If this information is incorrect or incomplete or you wish to change it, you must notify in writing the tax office to which you are subject. However, the tax authorities are linked to the register of the municipalities. So it is important that you are properly registered at the local town hall.

Expatax can file a request for a provisional refund for you.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
How is the provisional refund paid out to me?
Viewed 14841 times since Mon, Feb 18, 2013
From which date can I request a provisional refund for next year?
Viewed 10954 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
How is the provisional refund calculated when partners bought a house together?
Viewed 14812 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
Will I receive a provisional refund on my mortgage interest if I am self employed?
Viewed 12557 times since Tue, Apr 16, 2013
Tax authorities use provisional refund to compensate other tax claims
Viewed 13566 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Will I have to renew the provisional refund I receive every year?
Viewed 7696 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
Request for a "voorlopige teruggaaf" filed by mistake
Viewed 5670 times since Thu, Mar 14, 2013