Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I am living in the Netherlands and have a US savings account. Do I have to file a US tax return?

I am not an American citizen and I lived in USA for almost 7 years and filed taxes during all this time. I came back to my home country 2 years ago and left in US a savings account open and some stocks in a brokerage bank. I did not file tax last year because I did not know if I had to do so. I am wondering if I have to file for tax return this year. I hope you can help me answering this question.
The answer to this question depends on your residency status in the US. You mentioned you are not a US citizen, but the situation is different for nonresident aliens versus resident aliens. Technically, you are you considered a resident alien if you hold a green card or if you have substantial presence in the US (183 day rule). Resident aliens are taxed in the same manner as US citizens
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code