Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I am Japanese and want to set up a company in NL

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am Japanese who is going to establish a company in Netherlands.

I will run an import & export business. Limited company would be good for me, I think.

Please let me know: much is the fee/cost to establish a company much would be the cost to keep a company/business for a year (with no profit).

I have enough savings for the first year without making money but wondering at least how much I have to pay to keep my company.

Best Regards,


Since you are Japanese it should not be a problem to set up a company in the Netherlands and to become resident here.

See and more specific the following part:

For Japanese citizens it is possible to be self-employed in the Netherlands under the Treaty of Trade and Navigation between the Netherlands and Japan. 

You must meet the following conditions:

  • You operate your business between Japan and the Netherlands.
  • You start a new business opportunity and represent a Japanese business in the Netherlands or you start a profession in which you have invested a substantial capital (i.e. € 4,500).
  • You have a valid travel document (for example a passport).
  • You are not a risk to public order and national security.
  • You have sufficient and long-term means of support.
  • You have not previously stayed in the Netherlands illegally.
  • You have not given false information or have withheld important information to support any previous applications.

You have two options:

  1. Limited company (
  2. Sole proprietorship/one man business (


A limited company is a separate legal entity, where the one man business is not. So the limited company is more complicated. It costs more to set up and to maintain. It is chosen if the profit is more than € 100,000 or if there are business risks involved which could affect your personal assets if something would go wrong. By using a BV you can separate business and personal. A one man business is easy to set up and to maintain (since it is transparent). You can also use several tax credits which will reduce taxation. Once started with a one man business it can be transfered into a limited company later.

If you are new to the business, not sure what you will do and when income is generated I would advise to start with the one man business. Less obligations and less expensive.

We offer packages to one man businesses, see For an estimate of the accounting fee for a limited company see


Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
What is a limited partnership (CV - Commanditaire Vennootschap)?
Viewed 13699 times since Fri, Nov 16, 2012
Can I choose a business name myself?
Viewed 2550 times since Sat, Nov 5, 2011
Which criterias do non EU-nationals have to fullfil in order to get a work permit or to open their own business?
Viewed 6473 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
I received a letter from Graydon after I registered my business. What does it say?
Viewed 1298 times since Wed, Sep 30, 2015
Which insurances may I need for my business?
Viewed 4270 times since Tue, Dec 6, 2011
What is the procedure when I want to register my UK Limited Company in the Netherlands?
Viewed 6716 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
Moving my company to the Netherlands
Viewed 3202 times since Thu, Apr 4, 2013
Can I set up a business while being employed?
Viewed 3233 times since Thu, Apr 17, 2014
What is important when I am looking for a business premises?
Viewed 5561 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011