Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How should I register the birth of my child?

If you have a child born in the Netherlands the only legal requirement is that you must register the birth of your child within 72 hours of the birth at the municipality. We advise you to request a birth certificate, preferably an ‘international’ birth certificate. You may also want to contact the embassy or consul of your home country to inform them about the birth of your child.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Kat on Sat, Oct 29th, 2016 at 4:24 PM
My daughter born in Philippines and I did not yet do an exam to live there in Netherland but my husband fixed already the birth certificate of our daughter and our marriage, I want to know if the municipal will not send back papers about what we registered? Because I asked my husband and he said they did not send papers back . I need some help please
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Jan 2nd, 2017 at 4:25 PM
I am not familiar with the procedure around the registration of a child who is born outside the EU. I can‘t help you with that.
Security Code Security Code