How long will the 30% ruling application take? When will I receive a reply?

Hi, I have applied for the benefit 2 weeks ago, along with my employer. How long should it take before I get an answer from the tax office?

The whole procedure will take between around 2 to 6 weeks. The tax authorities will first send a confirmation of receipt, which may take 2 weeks already. If the application is not complete they will send a request for more information. If the tax authorities believe you don‘t qualify they will normally inform you of their intention first so that you can provide more proof or information why you believe you do qualify. Within 6 weeks you will receive the formal decision. To speed up the procedure it is important that the application is complete and all documents are provided.

Once granted the 30% ruling will be applicable from the start date. This will be the first day of employment if the application was filed within 4 months after the start of the employment. Otherwise it will be the first day of the month following the month in which the application was filed.

Comment by Evaristo Hernan on Fri, Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Hello Arjan, Can you share with us if you were granted the 30% ruling? My company also filed for my case last week and would like to know if the time frames in the article are accurate Thank you!
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:44 AM
As Dutch person I don‘t have the 30% ruling myself but Expatax arranges hundreds of 30% ruling grants every year. We are also authorised by the tax authorities due to our expertise to use a special procedure in which we basically pre-grant the 30% ruling to our clients. But of the general procedure is followed indeed the mentioned timeframe is applicable. Length of the procedure also depends on the season of the year. During holiday season it will take more time before you get a reply.
Comment by john taylor on Sat, Jun 24th, 2017 at 1:26 PM
They now make the decision exactly 8 weeks after receiving the application
Comment by James Claymore on Mon, Sep 18th, 2017 at 7:40 PM
I have filed the application in the end of July , and received my confirmation around halfway of this month (September), do you know if it should be applied already in the upcoming salary that i will receive in the end of September? i was working already for more than 2 years in the company so i expect it will not be retroactive since the beginning of the employment, but will it be retroactive from the month i filed it (July)? thank you
Comment by Subhajit on Mon, Feb 26th, 2018 at 3:47 PM
Hi John, did you get any confirmation receipt (acknowledgement) mail from tax authorities after you submitted your 30% ruling application? On 7th Feb 2018, my employer has sent the filled application form to tax authorities. Till now we have not got any application receipt confirmation. This afternoon I have called tax authorities to know if they have received my application, the response I got from them is they can not find my application in their system and also can not say if this has been received by them. He also said the lead time for any decision making would be within 12 weeks. How can I be sure the application has been received by them? Do I need to resend my documents?
Comment by krishna sisir on Mon, Jul 30th, 2018 at 3:06 PM
Hi , I have applied my 30% ruling after the four months and I have started working from 24th March 2018, So I have applied after four months. ill I get my tax money back from April, May, June, july ? Please let me know.
Comment by Beyra on Wed, Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:16 PM
Any new experience from 2018? how long does it take? I applied 17 days ago, but did not get any confirmation, so far.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:33 PM
If the 30% ruling application is filed after 4 months have passed since you started working then the ruling won‘t be granted retro active but only from the first day of the month following the month of application. Previous months will then be lost.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:34 PM
Time frame depends on the work load of the tax authorities. We indeed experience that it can take more time currently to have the application processed and also to receive a confirmation of receipt.
Comment by Beyra on Wed, Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:54 AM
any recent experience of the processing time?... how many weeks if it is taking longer than 6 weeks?
Comment by Janne on Tue, Oct 16th, 2018 at 5:57 PM
My application was filed in 18.7 and have not received any written confirmation or request from tax officials. I have now called them twice to make sure that they have my application. Now they said that it might take from couple days to few weeks to get any decision... So, winter is coming. Let‘s see how long the wait is
Comment by Mihai Cindea on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:30 PM
I applied on 20 July 2018, I got a reply of confirmation a few weeks after, but nothing since.
Comment by Sergio Seloti on Sat, Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:39 PM
Hey, guys, do you have any update about this issue? I have applied mine on 22th september, so it was about 9 weeks ago and I still have no answer.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Oct 31st, 2018 at 4:52 PM
Wow, time frames for individual applications really seem to get longer. Expatax has a special arrangment with the tax authorities so we have a shorter time frame and get the 30% ruling statements within a couple of weeks for our clients.
Comment by O on Mon, Nov 5th, 2018 at 1:48 PM
My application was sent out on July 2nd and after 3 months they requested additional documents. It has been a month and still no decision.