How long will the 30% ruling application take? When will I receive a reply?

Hi, I have applied for the benefit 2 weeks ago, along with my employer. How long should it take before I get an answer from the tax office?

The whole procedure will take between around 2 to 6 weeks. The tax authorities will first send a confirmation of receipt, which may take 2 weeks already. If the application is not complete they will send a request for more information. If the tax authorities believe you don‘t qualify they will normally inform you of their intention first so that you can provide more proof or information why you believe you do qualify. Within 6 weeks you will receive the formal decision. To speed up the procedure it is important that the application is complete and all documents are provided.

Once granted the 30% ruling will be applicable from the start date. This will be the first day of employment if the application was filed within 4 months after the start of the employment. Otherwise it will be the first day of the month following the month in which the application was filed.

Comment by Evaristo Hernan on Fri, Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Hello Arjan, Can you share with us if you were granted the 30% ruling? My company also filed for my case last week and would like to know if the time frames in the article are accurate Thank you!
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:44 AM
As Dutch person I don‘t have the 30% ruling myself but Expatax arranges hundreds of 30% ruling grants every year. We are also authorised by the tax authorities due to our expertise to use a special procedure in which we basically pre-grant the 30% ruling to our clients. But of the general procedure is followed indeed the mentioned timeframe is applicable. Length of the procedure also depends on the season of the year. During holiday season it will take more time before you get a reply.
Comment by john taylor on Sat, Jun 24th, 2017 at 1:26 PM
They now make the decision exactly 8 weeks after receiving the application
Comment by Subhajit on Mon, Feb 26th, 2018 at 3:47 PM
Hi John, did you get any confirmation receipt (acknowledgement) mail from tax authorities after you submitted your 30% ruling application? On 7th Feb 2018, my employer has sent the filled application form to tax authorities. Till now we have not got any application receipt confirmation. This afternoon I have called tax authorities to know if they have received my application, the response I got from them is they can not find my application in their system and also can not say if this has been received by them. He also said the lead time for any decision making would be within 12 weeks. How can I be sure the application has been received by them? Do I need to resend my documents?
Comment by krishna sisir on Mon, Jul 30th, 2018 at 3:06 PM
Hi , I have applied my 30% ruling after the four months and I have started working from 24th March 2018, So I have applied after four months. ill I get my tax money back from April, May, June, july ? Please let me know.
Comment by Beyra on Wed, Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:16 PM
Any new experience from 2018? how long does it take? I applied 17 days ago, but did not get any confirmation, so far.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:33 PM
If the 30% ruling application is filed after 4 months have passed since you started working then the ruling won‘t be granted retro active but only from the first day of the month following the month of application. Previous months will then be lost.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Oct 8th, 2018 at 2:34 PM
Time frame depends on the work load of the tax authorities. We indeed experience that it can take more time currently to have the application processed and also to receive a confirmation of receipt.