Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How long is my residence permit which I got as a knowledge migrant valid?

The residence permit of a knowledge migrant is granted for the length of the employment contract, up to a maximum of five years. Partners of the knowledge migrant are allowed to work in the Netherlands without needing a separate work permit although they will still need a residence permit. The residence permit of the children will have the same term as the residence permit of the highly skilled migrant.

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by kk lysetti on Wed, Jul 10th, 2013 at 3:24 PM
can highly skilled migrants from non eu,work as a contractor in netherlands ?how can they change jobs
Comment by arjan enneman on Thu, Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:23 PM
you are working in the netherlands as a knowledge migrant, which means that you fall under the requirements of the knowledge migrant scheme. one requirement is that your employer is registered with the ind as an employer who can hire knowledge migrants. it is not possible to work as a freelancer under the knowledge migrant scheme. if you change jobs you therefore have to be sure that you stay under the knowledge migrant scheme.
Security Code Security Code