Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How do I request a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?

Request a time extension for filing your tax return

If you have received an invitation to file a tax return but won't be able to do that before 1 April (or 1 July in case of an M form) you can request a time extension. This must be done before 1 April. The standard time extension you will get is 5 months which means that if the extension is granted the deadline is extended till 1 September.  If the deadline is set by the tax authorities at a later date than 1 April (for example because the invitation was sent to you late) and you need a time extension always file the request for the extension before the applicable deadline. 

The request must be sent in writing and must contain the following information:
  • your name
  • your BSN
  • your telephone number
  • the date till which you need a time extension
  • the name of the person who signs the request
  • the date the request is signed
  • signature

You must send the request to:


Postbus 2523
6401 DA Heerlen

You will receive a reply from the tax authorities within 3 weeks. 

You don't have to provide a reason for the time extension unless you need a time extension of more than 5 months. 

Expatax can prepare the tax return for you in which case you can get a time extension till 1 May of the following year. 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by jackie vankatwyk on Sun, Mar 2nd, 2014 at 5:10 PM
If you are a Dutch citizen living in the US but paying taxes in the Netherlands on a business, can you file a tax extention?
Comment by arjan enneman on Sun, Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Everybody who has to file a tax return in the Netherlands can request a time extension. Also if you are living outside the Netherlands.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Expatax has filed a tax return for me. Who will receive the tax assessment?
Viewed 4942 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Income tax on scholarship
Viewed 4380 times since Sat, Mar 23, 2013
Is it time to file your 2013 tax return in the Netherlands?
Viewed 2728 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
What is the exchange rate I have to use to declare foreign income in my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 3883 times since Wed, Feb 13, 2013
Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected
Viewed 3520 times since Fri, Feb 20, 2015
What are the benefits of fiscal partnership?
Viewed 27090 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Aangifte 2012 m
Viewed 4207 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
My partner has no income, is she entitled to a refund or tax credit?
Viewed 30111 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
Tax return
Viewed 2562 times since Thu, Dec 6, 2012