Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How can I register my business in the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce?

Do I need to register my business?

If you start a company, you must register it in the Trade Register. Dutch law states that all enterprises and legal entities in the Netherlands must be registered in the Trade Register. By law, you run an enterprise if you independently supply goods and services to others, with the intention of making a profit. In practice, it is sometimes difficult to state exactly when an activity constitutes an enterprise.

How can I register my business?

You should register in person at a Chamber of Commerce office. You will need to make an appointment for this at most Chamber of Commerce offices. An appointment can be made by using their online appointment scheduler . Choose an office, reason of the appointment (new registration or change of existing registration), select a day and time and mention your personal details. You will receive a confirmation of the appointment by email. 

What do you need to register?

  • A registration form . The form states whether you need other documents, such as a rental contract or a franchise contract.
  • A valid identification document, for example your passport or driving licence.

Once the business is registered you will receive a tax number (RSIN) and later confirmation that the VAT number is activated. You will then start receiving blue envelops from the tax authorities. Expatax can help you with all the correspondence from the tax authorities. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Valerie on Thu, Sep 1st, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Hi, I am hoping to consult with a friend‘s business regarding a one-time marketing and re-branding project. I assume I need to register myself for a VAT number as a one-person company, but since this will be a one-time project over 3 months, I am just curious what else I will need to fill out/know.
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Fri, Nov 11th, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Question is whether you need to register your company and request a VAT number. Your activities are not "sustainable". It is a one-time project. However, during this project you will work on regular basis. So it is quite a grey area. You will have only one client, your friends business. You don‘t have private clients. In my opinion invoicing your friends business without VAT would be possible. You can‘t claim back VAT on your expenses then either. If you want to be sure that everything is accepted by the tax authorities you can register your business and invoice with VAT and after the project is done deregister again and deactivate the VAT number. You would then have to invoice with VAT and file a quarterly VAT return. However, if the VAT you would have to pay is less than € 1,345 then you don‘t have to pay the VAT to the tax authorities. The income will be included in your personal income tax return, whether you are VAT registered or not. SInce it is only a one-time project you will not be eligible for the tax credits and deductions for entrepreneurs.
Security Code Security Code