Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

How are VAT returns filed?

VAT returns must be filed regularly by VAT registered businesses. It is  typically required for businesses to file VAT returns on a quarterly basis. The  return will show how much VAT you charged during that period of time, which is  referred to as Output Tax. The return will also show how much VAT has been paid on purchases, which is referred to as Input Tax. In most cases, businesses that  are VAT registered can reclaim Input Tax.
The return also contains a section for EU transactions, both sales and purchases.

The VAT return must be filed electronically, within one month after the last day of the quarter (or month, or year). At the same time the payment must be made if VAT is owed to the tax authorities.

Expatax can help you file the periodic VAT returns. 



Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (11)
Comment by jacob on Thu, Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:17 PM
hello arjan, can you please email the vat forms
Comment by arjan enneman on Thu, Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:45 AM
vat forms are provided by the tax authorities. you will first have to register with the tax authorities (and chamber of commerce). they will issue a vat number and automatically start sending you invitations to file a vat return. first vat return is on paper, the following returns must be filed electronically. expatax can assist you with filing the vat returns.
Comment by sajid eqbal on Thu, Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:24 AM
how to calculate vat liability to be paid by an individual or a business entity?
Comment by arjan enneman on Fri, Feb 15th, 2013 at 1:52 AM
vat needs to be charged on services provided and goods sold. vat rate depends on which service is provided or which good is sold. this can be 21%, 6%, 0% or an exemption can be applicable. also relevant is in which country the client is based. the vat must be mentioned on the invoice to the client. vat paid on expenses may be deducted. there is not a quick answer possible.
Comment by isa on Sat, Feb 23rd, 2013 at 12:05 AM
what type of expenses is it possible to deduct? are plane tickets deductible?
Comment by arjan enneman on Sun, Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:18 PM
vat on business related expenses can be deducted. if you have to fly for your business you can indeed claim back the vat. see further:
Comment by arjan enneman on Sun, Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:30 PM
addition to latest comment. if the plane ticket would contain vat from another eu country a different procedure applies to claim back the vat, not in the periodic vat return. question is whether it will be clear what amount of vat is included in the ticket price.
Comment by giovanni on Wed, Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:54 PM
hello, i have a question:vat is not charged for online services received from a company outside the eu, and "reverse charge" is not i need to fill in the vat return page the corresponding line indicating vat at "0", or this kind of invoice does not account in vat return, and i can omit the registration of the amount in vat return questionnaire?thank you
Comment by arjan enneman on Sat, Aug 31st, 2013 at 5:55 PM
if you receive an invoice from a client without vat (and the vat is not reverse charged) then you don‘t have to include this invoice in the vat return.
Comment by Predrag on Mon, Apr 10th, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Can I request a tax refund for goods which I bought in 2015 for my company?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Apr 11th, 2017 at 3:07 PM
If you want to claim back VAT on goods you bought in 2015 then a (new or corrected) VAT return must be filed for the year 2015. This can be done if your business is registered with the tax authorities and has a VAT number (and you still have the original invoices).
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
For which expenses can I claim back the VAT?
Viewed 18378 times since Sun, Feb 24, 2013
VAT rate increases in 2012
Viewed 3327 times since Fri, Aug 31, 2012
What is important for the VAT declaration? Date of service provided, date of invoice or date of payment?
Viewed 2254 times since Wed, Jan 21, 2015
Can I request a time extension for filing the VAT return?
Viewed 9332 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
How can we verify and check a VAT number of a company we do business with?
Viewed 14305 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
Will I receive a fine from the Dutch tax authorities if I didn’t declare and pay #VAT in time?
Viewed 6138 times since Wed, Feb 22, 2012
Vat for musician - did the vat rate of 6% change too?
Viewed 15306 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2012
Vat exemptions - funeral cases
Viewed 15159 times since Thu, Sep 6, 2012
How does the current EU VAT system work?
Viewed 19642 times since Sun, Feb 24, 2013
How can a UK ltd claim back VAT paid in the Netherlands on an import from outside the EU?
Viewed 22165 times since Wed, Oct 24, 2012