Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Freelance tax return and 30% ruling


I am a freelance photographer and image retoucher based in Amsterdam. Since I am from Bulgaria and it is still not easy to get a work permit here I have decided to start a business on my own. After a while, I got an offer by a renowned company to work fulltime as a freelancer.

My questions are: 

  1. Can I apply for the 30% ruling in that situation? 
  2. Does the 30% ruling apply for freelancers at all?
  3. As a non-Dutch freelancer do the same tax return rules apply for me as to the Dutch freelancers?

Thank you in advance!


  1. You can apply but the 30% ruling will not be granted to you in this situation.
  2. The 30% ruling is only applicable in case of an incoming employee. A freelancer is not an employee and therefore doesn‘t qualify for the 30% ruling.
  3. The same tax return rules apply to non-Dutch freelancers as to Dutch freelancer. It would not be fair to use different rules. 

point 3 can lead to a problem for you though. Since you only have one client for whom you work fulltime the tax authorities will see this as (fictitious) employment. This means that a work permit will be required but on the other hand the 30% ruling can be applicable. Your client/employer is responsible to determine what is your exact position towards them: freelancer or employee. If they choose wrong they will be liable for the consequences (fines), but for you it may lead to the consequence that you are not allowed to stay in the Netherlands. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
My partner has no income, is she entitled to a refund or tax credit?
Viewed 23498 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
Fake phishing emails which seem to come from the Dutch tax authorities
Viewed 14127 times since Thu, Jan 17, 2013
Protective assessment upon emigration
Viewed 7988 times since Fri, Feb 21, 2014
I may earn an income in two countries. Can I reduce tax rates this way?
Viewed 4771 times since Tue, Dec 6, 2011
Taxation of foreign military pension - in this question a UK pension
Viewed 11279 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
Money Transfer from my UK account to my NL Account
Viewed 2086 times since Sat, Feb 28, 2015
IB-60 form: overview of your taxable income in a year
Viewed 59739 times since Thu, May 30, 2013
Life insurance in France: taxed in Box 3 or Box 1?
Viewed 3035 times since Thu, Nov 8, 2012
The Netherlands strive to accelerate the automatic exchange of information between countries
Viewed 2773 times since Tue, Nov 13, 2012
My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?
Viewed 2418 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012