Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Do we have a tax obligation in the Netherlands if we provide a service to a Dutch company for work done outside the Netherlands?

I would like some advice on the following situation:
Me and my partner are living in Portugal and we will be providing services for Dutch companies (our work location will be Portugal and we will provide the services electronically). Do we need to pay taxes in the Netherlands, and if so what would be better in our situation: to work as freelancers independently or to provide the services via a company we created in Portugal?
If you are living and working in Portugal then there is no income tax obligation in the Netherlands. The fact that your client is a Dutch company doesn't affect this. Important is where the actual work is done or where your own business is based. Since this is all Portugal, Portugal has the right to tax your income. You can send an invoice to your Dutch client for the services you provide. But you may have to check the Portugese tax law to find out whether you are treated as a freelancer/business owner or as an employee of the Dutch company for which a payroll must be set up in Portugal.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Paulo on Wed, Mar 22nd, 2017 at 4:27 PM
Is this because it is between countries inside the EU? Or is that valid for any country providing services to a Dutch company?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Sep 26th, 2017 at 1:51 PM
Important is first of all where the company who provides the service is based and secondly where the actual work is done. An applicable tax treaty will provide more information about where services are taxed.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Last year I did not have a VAR which qualified my income towards my client. Do I still need to get one?
Viewed 5316 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
What are the tax rates in 2012?
Viewed 2980 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Tax on income earned abroad
Viewed 4155 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
Dutch taxes on foreign (US) accounts
Viewed 9467 times since Sat, Dec 8, 2012
My partner has no income, is she entitled to a refund or tax credit?
Viewed 27624 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
I am leaving the Netherlands. Can I get a tax refund when I leave?
Viewed 24674 times since Sat, Nov 26, 2011
Freelance tax return and 30% ruling
Viewed 4194 times since Sat, Feb 23, 2013
How is a second home in the Netherlands taxed? It is owned by a non-resident.
Viewed 23988 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 35939 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011
Tax rate and tax brackets in the Netherlands - how is tax calculated?
Viewed 15972 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012