Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Do I need to file a tax return? I had income as employee and freelancer at the same time.


I came to the Netherlands in Jan 2012 to join my husband on MVV who has 30% ruling. I started working as a freelancer teacher in 2013 and then on 0.4 FTE in 2014. Also do some freelancing for the same employer during my non contracted hours. My 2013‘s total income was around 10933 and 2014‘s is 19246. My ingehouden Loonheffing is 3226. 

How do I know if I have income which is not taxed and whether I have to file a return or not and if I do then do I receive a refund or pay more?


Your employer has withheld wage tax on the agreed salary for the contracted hours. But nothing was withheld on the freelance income. That was paid to you gross. So you still have to pay tax on the freelance income. Good news is that you can deduct certain expenses. Besides that, the wage tax which was withheld was too high, purely looking at the salary only. What was withheld too much can be used to cover the tax claim on the freelance income. I estimate a small refund.

I expect that you will be invited to file a tax return due to the freelance income.

For more information about deductible expenses see For our tax return assistance see

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
What is the deadline for filing a tax return?
Viewed 7885 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Will I get a fine if I don’t file my tax return in time?
Viewed 2169 times since Sun, Dec 11, 2011
Can I file a tax return if I only have a sofinumber and not a BSN?
Viewed 3262 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
M form not received - do I need it to file a tax return?
Viewed 1241 times since Wed, Apr 2, 2014
Timeframe tax refund
Viewed 3189 times since Mon, May 14, 2012
Sofi number deactivation - do I need to deactivate my sofinumber if I won‘t be in the #Netherlands?
Viewed 5412 times since Wed, Feb 29, 2012
Can I get a time extension for filing my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 2276 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 31894 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011
Will my employer take care of my personal income tax return or will I have to do it?
Viewed 4941 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
I deregistered from the Netherlands in February 2014 but haven’t received the M form yet. Is that correct?
Viewed 1756 times since Wed, Apr 2, 2014