Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Do I have to pay Dutch National Insurance on my earnings?


I currently work for a UK company and pay no tax in the UK but I do pay UK national insurance. I am registered as resident in Holland and have a bsn number, I received a letter saying I was uninsured so took out a policy with CZ to resolve this.

I now have to fill out my tax return for the Dutch authorities and would like to know if I work this out based on the income brackets and can ignore the additional insurance percentage on the first two brackets or not?

I am a single male aged 37, if that makes a difference


If you have an A1 declaration showing that you are insured in the UK for the national insurance you indeed don‘t have to pay the additional insurance percentage on the first two brackets in the Netherlands. Otherwise you would pay double. So you can claim an exemption for social security premiums in the Netherlands. 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by Mike flanigen on Fri, Jun 24th, 2016 at 7:49 AM
I live and married in Holland but I have a few houses in England which I pay taxes in England with an income. I don‘t work in Holland though. Do I need to pay taxes in Holland as well?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Fri, Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:20 PM
You may have to file a tax return since the Dutch tax authorities have no information about your income. Whether you need to pay tax in Holland depends on the type of income and to which country the right of taxation is divided in the tax treaty between the UK and NL. In principle is the income from your houses in England taxed in England. If that is your only source of income then you won‘t have to pay additional tax in Holland. Other sources of income also include your other savings and investments. These will be taxed in Holland.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Double tax agreement implications - working in the Netherlands and in the UK at the same time
Viewed 20512 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
The Dutch tax authorities refuse to speak to me in English on the phone. Is that allowed?
Viewed 14311 times since Tue, Jan 31, 2012
New mortgage rules in 2014 - tax and legal consequences
Viewed 10641 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Will the withheld premiums social security be reimbursed to me when I leave the Netherlands?
Viewed 17417 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
Capital gains earned with the sale of property outside the Netherlands
Viewed 50025 times since Thu, Jun 20, 2013
I live abroad and changed address. How do I inform the Dutch tax authorities of my new address?
Viewed 4517 times since Sat, Feb 16, 2013
Is tax at source withheld on bank account interest?
Viewed 4829 times since Thu, Sep 19, 2013
Leaving the Netherlands
Viewed 1501 times since Mon, Oct 20, 2014
Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected
Viewed 3119 times since Fri, Feb 20, 2015
What are the tax rates in 2012?
Viewed 2836 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011