Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Capital gains earned with the sale of property outside the Netherlands

We are planning to sell our house in France soon and use the money to buy in the Netherlands, but in no particular hurry given the fact that prices are still falling. We are not sure yet if we have to pay capital gains in France. Can I ask you:
Would we have to pay anything like capital gains in NL
  1. if we pay capital gains in France;
  2. if we don’t pay capital gains in France?
In your situation the capital gain is not taxed in the Netherlands. First because the property is in France and according to the tax treaty between the Netherlands and France income related to a property is taxed in the country where the property is located. Second because the property is a normal investment and not seen as a business. Whether or not you pay capital gains tax in France is irrelevant.
Presumably we would have to pay vermogen tax (Box 3) if we hang on to the money for a while, but it isn’t clear to me under what conditions. E.g.
  1. Would we pay vermogen tax only if we still had the money in the bank at the end of the year?
  2. If so would it be pro-rated over the part of the year we had it?
  3. Would it make any difference if the money was in an account in France or in NL?
Hoping you can advise.
Once the money is transfered to a bank account it indeed falls under taxation in Box 3. Since you are living in the Netherlands your world wide savings and investments (with a possible exeption for properties) are taxed in the Netherlands. Whether the amount is transfered to a Dutch account or a French account is irrelevant.
The amount on 1 January of each year must be declared. If you receive the capital gains during the year the amount will therefore be taxed in the following year. Taxation is not reduced pro rata if you spend the money during that year again. This is only the case if you leave the Netherlands during the year.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Do I have to pay Dutch National Insurance on my earnings?
Viewed 60912 times since Wed, Mar 13, 2013
What are the tax rates in 2012?
Viewed 3043 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
Can I open a savings account for my child and will he pay tax on the interest ?
Viewed 11493 times since Wed, Mar 21, 2012
Tax on income earned abroad
Viewed 4312 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
I am leaving the Netherlands. Can I get a tax refund when I leave?
Viewed 25292 times since Sat, Nov 26, 2011
How can I submit or change a foreign bank account number?
Viewed 5384 times since Wed, Sep 11, 2013
Tax return for non resident working as freelancer for a Dutch company, mostly outside NL
Viewed 6640 times since Thu, Nov 8, 2012
Can I get a copy of the Dutch tax assessments for previous years?
Viewed 1364 times since Fri, Nov 6, 2015
Taxation of second home in the Netherlands and income related to it
Viewed 7600 times since Thu, Jan 22, 2015
I want to buy a property outside the Netherlands. What are the tax consequences?
Viewed 4587 times since Tue, Jan 10, 2012