Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can I receive some kind of child benefit?

The Netherlands has a child subsidy called Kinderbijslag, a payment to a parent of any child younger than 18 years old. There are also provisions for handicapped children over the age of 18.

As with everything else, there are many rules governing the disbursement of this money. It is not necessary to be a Dutch citizen. To qualify however the child must be a legal, permanent resident. This status is given to your child when you register at the local municipal office. You qualify even if you are working for a non-Dutch company or are self-employed and you or your company are paying Netherlands taxes and social benefits.

The municipality will ask for the original birth certificate, proof of residence, passport, proof of school enrollment or training/apprenticeship and medical documentation for a handicapped child if over 18. The amount of Kinderbijslag varies depending on how many children you have. Your entitlement to this money can be determined with a quick visit to your local municipal office. Due to the amount, it is worth your efforts.
The kinderbijslag is paid out every quarter and is tax free.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code