Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can I object against a tax assessment which I have received?


Can I object against a tax assessment which I have received?


If you don’t agree with the tax assessment you can object against it within 6 weeks after the date of the assessment. You will find this date on the tax assessment. If you let these 6 weeks pass you can no longer object. It is however still possible to request the tax authorities to adjust the tax assessment. When you are right the tax authorities will normally adjust the tax assessment, there are internal guidelines for this. Problem however is that you can't appeal against the decision anymore and go to court. This is only possible when you filed an objection on time.
The tax authorities can also ask additional questions before they send you a tax assessment. Normally the tax authorities send you a provisional tax assessment first. This assessment should be according to the filed tax return. This is done so you can receive your refund earlier. The final tax assessment will take some more time. This means that the tax authorities can still change their mind and adjust the calculations made in the provisional tax assessment. Keep that in mind when you receive a refund. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Tax return - no form has been mailed yet
Viewed 2203 times since Thu, Apr 4, 2013
I need to pay my tax in the Netherlands for the first time. What do I have to do?
Viewed 5790 times since Wed, Mar 14, 2012
Filing NL tax return while living in Qatar and entitled to future Dutch pension
Viewed 994 times since Fri, Oct 16, 2015
Aangifte 2012 m
Viewed 3960 times since Thu, Jul 18, 2013
What is an M form?
Viewed 11131 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Deadlines for filing tax returns in the Netherlands in 2015 for individuals and businesses - which tax returns need to be filed and when?
Viewed 12597 times since Wed, Feb 25, 2015
I have just received an email from the Dutch tax authorities. Subject: Uw aangifte inkomstenbelasting indienen.
Viewed 3905 times since Wed, Feb 29, 2012
I would like to know the status of my tax return
Viewed 2771 times since Sat, Mar 8, 2014
New mortgage rules in 2014 - tax and legal consequences
Viewed 10644 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Should the kinderbijslag be reported in my tax return?
Viewed 2610 times since Thu, Apr 11, 2013