Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can I deduct the education costs of my tax partner in my #Dutch #tax return?

my wife (tax partner) is currently unemployed. We consider to follow a master programme to help her in the future.
Can I deduct from my salary the educational expenses? If yes, when do i need to fill a request, before or after the subscribtion at master?

thank you in advance.
The education costs which are made for your wife are deductible if the requirements are met. If she has no income it is possible to divide the deduction to you in your tax return. Important is that this can only be done if you are fiscal (tax) partners. Since you are married you are automatically fiscal partners.
The deduction can be claimed in the year the education costs are paid. This can be done in the annual tax return (be aware of the maximum deductible amount per year, see link above). You can also request a (monthly) provisional refund.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code