Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Can I apply for the 30% ruling if I have a foreign employer?

5 years ago you helped me with applying for the 30% ruling which I was granted. My question is now, if I change employer and my future employer is a company based in Denmark, but I will remain living and working in the Netherlands do I then continue to pay tax in the Netherlands or will I have to pay tax in Denmark?

If I continue to pay tax in the Netherlands can I apply to keep my remaining 5 years of the 30% ruling?
I will continue to live and work here in the Netherlands and my job will remain the same, but the employer will be a Danish company rather than a Dutch company which I have now. My yearly income will be in access of eur 60.000.
If I can apply to keep my 30% ruling can you help me with the application again? I hope you can answer me. Many thanks in advance.
If you remain working in the Netherlands then you will continue to pay tax in the Netherlands on the salary you will earn. The tax treaty between the Netherlands and Denmark states that income from employment is taxed in the country where the work is done. So your Danish employer must put you on their Dutch payroll administration. If they are not yet registered as a foreign employer in the Netherlands and as such do not have a Dutch payroll administration yet, Expatax can assist with this. See also
When you are on a Dutch payroll administration we can request the tax authorities to grant you the 30% ruling for your employment with the Danish company.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Taxation of second home in the Netherlands and income related to it
Viewed 11478 times since Thu, Jan 22, 2015
Are certain assets exempted from taxation in Box 3?
Viewed 17612 times since Wed, Oct 24, 2012
How can I submit or change a foreign bank account number?
Viewed 6000 times since Wed, Sep 11, 2013
Capital gains tax on property sale
Viewed 8484 times since Thu, Apr 12, 2012
What is a non resident taxpayer?
Viewed 19453 times since Fri, Nov 25, 2011
I see an amount of interest on the tax assessment I have received. Can you explain this?
Viewed 5896 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
30% rule at the end of the first 5 years: do I have to re-apply?
Viewed 22137 times since Sun, Feb 24, 2013
Is the 30% ruling a benefit for the employee or the employer?
Viewed 7681 times since Thu, Sep 27, 2012
Dutch taxation on uk properties
Viewed 4338 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
IB-60 form: overview of your taxable income in a year
Viewed 62076 times since Thu, May 30, 2013