Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Who can be fiscal partners?

Fiscal partnership relates to married couples, couples living together (partners) or housemates who may determine who declares which amount of certain types of income and deductible items in their tax returns. You may then divide the balance of for example, the deductible expenditure on your owner-occupied property between you and your partner. You may make any division you wish, as long as the total is 100%. The partner with the highest income can, for example, deduct the expenditure. This offers you the largest tax advantage.

Couples living together and housemates must meet certain conditions to become tax partners. Are you married? Then you are automatically tax partners.

Are you living together without being married in 2011, and are you both registered at the same address in your municipality's records? If so, then you are tax partners when you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You have jointly concluded a cohabitation contract before a civil-law notary and you are both adults.
  • You jointly have a child.
  • You or your partner has a child and the other partner has acknowledged the child.
  • You are registered as partners with a pension fund.
  • You are the joint owners of the property that is your main place of residence.

Your tax partnership begins at the time that you are both registered at the same address in your municipality's records and ends at the time that you are no longer registered at the same address.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (1)
Comment by darren on Thu, Jul 12th, 2012 at 5:08 PM
where do we go to be registered legally as fiscal partners in the hague and how much does it cost.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Tax return
Viewed 1919 times since Thu, Dec 6, 2012
What type of tax forms are available?
Viewed 2118 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
File a tax return in the Netherlands as a couple or individually
Viewed 6825 times since Thu, Oct 18, 2012
Tax return for non resident working as freelancer for a Dutch company, mostly outside NL
Viewed 5835 times since Thu, Nov 8, 2012
Tax declaration: When can I file it when I leave the Netherlands this year?
Viewed 1815 times since Wed, Oct 21, 2015
Income tax on scholarship
Viewed 3089 times since Sat, Mar 23, 2013
Which income and deductions can be apportioned between fiscal partners?
Viewed 28144 times since Thu, Feb 14, 2013
I did not register in the Netherlands and am not insured here. Can I still apply for a tax refund?
Viewed 7958 times since Wed, Feb 29, 2012
When is the tax return due date?
Viewed 2004 times since Thu, Feb 21, 2013
I am non resident but receive pension from Holland, do I have to declare anything to the Dutch tax authorities?
Viewed 38290 times since Fri, May 31, 2013