Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Tax return - part of the year - can it be filed online and will I get a refund?

I started working in the Netherlands in July 2012 and I have a one year contract, my net salary is 1475 euro. Do I have a right for a tax return and which form do I need? Can I use the online program "verzoek of wijziging voorlopige aanslag"?
If you only lived or worked in the Netherlands part of the year you are normally entitled to a refund. See also the article I have not lived or worked in the Netherlands the whole year. Can I claim a refund?
You can get an estimate of the 2012 tax refund by using our online calculator.
If you did not live in the Netherlands the whole year the form you will have to file is the M form. The M form can only be filed on paper, not online. The program you refer to is for requesting or adjusting a provisional monthly refund. So you can‘t use it to file a tax form. If you did live in the Netherlands the whole year a P form can be filed. This can be done online in Dutch if you have a Digid or you can request the assistance of Expatax.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
What is the exchange rate I have to use to declare foreign income in my Dutch tax return?
Viewed 2874 times since Wed, Feb 13, 2013
Tax relief for a mortgage after emigration from the Netherlands
Viewed 19882 times since Wed, Jan 29, 2014
When will I receive the final tax assessment from the Dutch tax authorities?
Viewed 2366 times since Thu, Mar 14, 2013
How is income from Google Adsense taxed?
Viewed 5726 times since Sun, Feb 10, 2013
I pay premiums into a long term savings plan. Which value should I declare under the savings in Box 3?
Viewed 3436 times since Tue, Jun 25, 2013
What is an M form?
Viewed 9774 times since Thu, Nov 3, 2011
Should I also send you the big blue envelope I received from the tax authorities?
Viewed 2201 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011
My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?
Viewed 2194 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012
Tax assessment for 2014 may be higher than expected
Viewed 2606 times since Fri, Feb 20, 2015