Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

Tax return for non resident working as freelancer for a Dutch company, mostly outside NL

I live in Spain, am married and registered there and also pay social security in Spain. I have a business in Spain and worked in 2010 for 6 month on contract basis for a Dutch company (whereby more than 95% of the time was spent outside the Netherlands but within the EU.
Do I have to file a tax return in the Netherlands? Or can I choose? For the remaining 6 months I was unemployed.
If you were working for the Dutch company as a freelancer whereby the company paid your monthly invoices then the income is taxed in Spain, since that is where your business is based. Of course the tax authorities can argue that you were not a freelancer but an employee since the Dutch company was your only client, so you were not really independent.
If you were on an employment contract you can argue that the salary is not taxed in the Netherlands since the actual work did not take place in the Netherlands, or only just for 5%. In that case you will have to determine if another country besides Spain has the right to tax your salary. If you worked in Spain (most of the time), you will have to pay tax on the income there. By filing a tax return in the Netherlands you can claim back the wage tax which was withheld (plus the premiums for the social security since you worked more than 25% of the time in your home country Spain).
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (2)
Comment by bozhidar bozhanov on Fri, Jan 24th, 2014 at 8:03 AM
can the dutch authorities argue that i
Comment by arjan enneman on Sun, Feb 2nd, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Whether the Dutch tax authorities treat you as a freelancer or an employee depends on the actual situation. See also for more info.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
My child is earning an income. How will it be taxed?
Viewed 2128 times since Sun, Apr 1, 2012
I pay premiums into a long term savings plan. Which value should I declare under the savings in Box 3?
Viewed 3381 times since Tue, Jun 25, 2013
How can I submit or change a foreign bank account number?
Viewed 4104 times since Wed, Sep 11, 2013
Can I object against a tax assessment which I have received?
Viewed 12189 times since Fri, Nov 4, 2011
Paid from Holland - living and working in UK now
Viewed 4777 times since Wed, May 2, 2012
IB-60 form: overview of your taxable income in a year
Viewed 59079 times since Thu, May 30, 2013
I am made redundant and receive a lumpsum payment. What are the tax options?
Viewed 54676 times since Sat, Nov 5, 2011
I live abroad and changed address. How do I inform the Dutch tax authorities of my new address?
Viewed 4016 times since Sat, Feb 16, 2013
Taxation of spouse alimony
Viewed 1495 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
Freelance tax return and 30% ruling
Viewed 3189 times since Sat, Feb 23, 2013