My business is not VAT registered. Can I still reclaim VAT we have paid for goods/services?

No. In order to reclaim VAT you must first complete a VAT registration for your business. Once registered you can claim VAT on goods/services you sell and also reclaim VAT on goods/services you have purchased for your business from others.

Comment by vishal mair on Mon, Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:38 AM
how long does a vat registration take for an expat setting up a new limited company in netherlands?
Comment by arjan enneman on Thu, Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:43 AM
company formation will take around 3-4 weeks, including registration with the chamber of commerce and the tax authorities.
Comment by Carine on Mon, Nov 30th, 2015 at 3:17 PM
I am a consultant for a Netherlands registered company. I am a US registered company. Should I charge VAT to my client?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Dec 23rd, 2015 at 6:05 PM
You mention that you are a US registered company, so I assume you are physically based there. If you provide the service in the US, or you work entirely in the US then your invoice can‘t contain VAT since it is a pure US issue. If you provide the service in the Netherlands and your client is a business then in principle your client will take care of the VAT in the Netherlands. You will then have to mention your clients VAT number on your invoice. Your invoice will then not contain VAT.
Comment by Pierre Bonnard on Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:44 PM
During my next trip to the Netherlands, I wish to buy a portable computer in the Netherlands with my company Visa card. My company is in France, can I deduct the VAT in France or a get a refund from the Netherlands tax authorities?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Make sure you receive a proper invoice. You should then be able to claim back the Dutch VAT in France through your own company. You may want to check the applicable procedure for this in France first.
Comment by Michelle on Sun, May 1st, 2016 at 9:39 PM
We are a US based IT sevices company that does our work in the US for a Dutch company. Do we have to register for a VAT number and file returns if all the VAT is reverse charged and paid by client? Is VAT reverse charged when US companies do all services in US?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, May 2nd, 2016 at 1:50 PM
If VAT is reverse charged and therefore the client will declare the VAT in the Netherlands then your company doesn‘t need to register for a Dutch VAT number.
Comment by Cannelle on Tue, Oct 18th, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Hello, I am a company based in the Netherlands and I pay VAT on goods I purchased in the Netherlands. I then sell the goods abroad and don‘t charge VAT to my clients. Will I get the VAT I paid refunded by the Dutch government ? Thank you!
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Fri, Oct 28th, 2016 at 6:58 PM
For companies the VAT is (in principle) neutral. This means that in the end the consumer pays the VAT. VAT on expenses can be claimed back and VAT charged on your invoice has to be paid to the tax authorities. But this VAT is paid by your client, on top of the price you charge for your product. If you sell your product within the EU and don‘t charge VAT then you don‘t have to pay VAT to the tax authorities either, but you can still claim back the VAT on your expenses.
Comment by jino on Thu, Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:06 PM
we had set up an marine service company in Rotterdam and it had been running for a few months now but recently we were informed by our accountant that our company is not VAT registered. How can we go about registering company VAT? Has it to be done by some professional or we are able to apply ourselves?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, Nov 7th, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Obtaining a VAT number is part of the registration or incorporation procedure. When your company is registered in the trade register with the Chamber of Commerce the tax authorities are automatically informed. Your company will receive a VAT number unless the tax authorities have questions or would like to visit your company first. In that case correspondence will have been sent to your company address. First make sure that your company is registered with the Chamber of Commerce. If that was already done months ago contact the tax authorities to find out about the status of the VAT registration. This can be done by your accountant. To get a VAT number though your company must have a real presence in the Netherlands (like a real office, not a virtual office) and management must be available in the Netherlands as well. The company must have sufficient substance otherwise a VAT number will not be granted.