Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

My business is not VAT registered. Can I still reclaim VAT we have paid for goods/services?

No. In order to reclaim VAT you must first complete a VAT registration for your business. Once registered you can claim VAT on goods/services you sell and also reclaim VAT on goods/services you have purchased for your business from others.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments (8)
Comment by vishal mair on Mon, Apr 8th, 2013 at 10:38 AM
how long does a vat registration take for an expat setting up a new limited company in netherlands?
Comment by arjan enneman on Thu, Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:43 AM
company formation will take around 3-4 weeks, including registration with the chamber of commerce and the tax authorities.
Comment by Carine on Mon, Nov 30th, 2015 at 3:17 PM
I am a consultant for a Netherlands registered company. I am a US registered company. Should I charge VAT to my client?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Wed, Dec 23rd, 2015 at 6:05 PM
You mention that you are a US registered company, so I assume you are physically based there. If you provide the service in the US, or you work entirely in the US then your invoice can‘t contain VAT since it is a pure US issue. If you provide the service in the Netherlands and your client is a business then in principle your client will take care of the VAT in the Netherlands. You will then have to mention your clients VAT number on your invoice. Your invoice will then not contain VAT.
Comment by Pierre Bonnard on Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:44 PM
During my next trip to the Netherlands, I wish to buy a portable computer in the Netherlands with my company Visa card. My company is in France, can I deduct the VAT in France or a get a refund from the Netherlands tax authorities?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Tue, Feb 23rd, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Make sure you receive a proper invoice. You should then be able to claim back the Dutch VAT in France through your own company. You may want to check the applicable procedure for this in France first.
Comment by Michelle on Sun, May 1st, 2016 at 9:39 PM
We are a US based IT sevices company that does our work in the US for a Dutch company. Do we have to register for a VAT number and file returns if all the VAT is reverse charged and paid by client? Is VAT reverse charged when US companies do all services in US?
Comment by Arjan Enneman on Mon, May 2nd, 2016 at 1:50 PM
If VAT is reverse charged and therefore the client will declare the VAT in the Netherlands then your company doesn‘t need to register for a Dutch VAT number.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
In which quarter will I have to declare the VAT?
Viewed 20952 times since Tue, Nov 29, 2011
VAT rate increases in 2012
Viewed 2459 times since Fri, Aug 31, 2012
What is the difference between a VAT exemption and a VAT rate of 0%?
Viewed 14844 times since Tue, Dec 13, 2011
Vat for musician - did the vat rate of 6% change too?
Viewed 14475 times since Thu, Oct 4, 2012
How can a UK ltd claim back VAT paid in the Netherlands on an import from outside the EU?
Viewed 20753 times since Wed, Oct 24, 2012
What is the VAT rate on public transport?
Viewed 14543 times since Fri, Apr 5, 2013
VAT registration - UK company supplying contractors to Dutch clients
Viewed 13400 times since Thu, Apr 4, 2013
Does an orthodontist or a dentist have to charge VAT to clients?
Viewed 15831 times since Thu, Apr 18, 2013
VAT on online education
Viewed 11640 times since Thu, Dec 6, 2012
Vat on antiques
Viewed 2769 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013