Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I spend 80% of my time outside the Netherlands for work. Can I get a refund in NL?


I am a consultant employed by a Dutch company in the Netherlands. I work 80% outside the country. I have heard that I can therefore benefit from a tax return.

Could you please confirm whether this is possible? 


You are currently employed by a company in the Netherlands based on a Dutch employment contract. Your employer will have you on the Dutch payroll the entire year. Since you are living in the Netherlands you are taxed here on your world wide income, including income earned while abroad. This is only different if the country where you work has the right to tax the salary earned while you are there. 
Relevant here is whether you spend all the time outside the Netherlands in one country or in several countries. If it concerns one country then you should normally be on a split payroll whereby your employer sets up a payroll for you in the other country. This way your salary is automatically divided over the two countries by your employer. Be aware though that if you have the 30% ruling, it can only be used on your Dutch income. Since a split payroll is complicated not all employers are eager to do this. With an A1 declaration social security rights can be kept in the Netherlands.  
If there is no split payroll you can claim an exemption in your tax return based on the applicable tax treaty. This will only be possible if the stay outside the Netherlands in a specific country was considerable, not just a couple of days or weeks. Most tax treaties for example contain a so called 183 days ruling, which states that you are only taxable in the other country if you stayed there more than 183 days in a year. The Dutch tax authorities can also require proof that you actually declared your income in the other country to prevent that you claim an exemption in the Netherlands and don‘t pay tax in another country. 
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
Do I need to pay tax on maintenance or alimony which I received from my ex-partner?
Viewed 2953 times since Wed, Nov 14, 2012
Request for a "voorlopige teruggaaf" filed by mistake
Viewed 3336 times since Thu, Mar 14, 2013
How is income which I receive from renting out a room in my house to a student taxed in the Netherlands?
Viewed 5451 times since Thu, Jan 10, 2013
I have sold my house with a loss. Is this loss tax deductible?
Viewed 5019 times since Sun, Nov 27, 2011
IB-60 form: overview of your taxable income in a year
Viewed 58966 times since Thu, May 30, 2013
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 29273 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011
Capital gains earned with the sale of property outside the Netherlands
Viewed 49370 times since Thu, Jun 20, 2013
Official text of the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT)
Viewed 63360 times since Sun, Nov 10, 2013
Taxation of foreign military pension - in this question a UK pension
Viewed 10742 times since Thu, Feb 7, 2013
Protective assessment upon emigration
Viewed 7698 times since Fri, Feb 21, 2014