Home » Categories » Multiple Categories

I did not register in the #Netherlands and am not insured here. Can I still apply for a #tax refund?

Can I apply for tax refund if I am not registered in the Netherlands and don‘t have an insurance? If so, will there be penalties for me? I am living here for a few years now, but I had no possibility to register because I rent only a room in the place where registration is not possible. I am an eu national. thank you.
By law you are required to register in the Netherlands within 5 days after arrival if you want to stay here for a longer period. Registration must take place with the municipality. When you register the municipality will provide you with a BSN (Citizen Service Number) which you need to be able to work in the Netherlands. If you are not registered in the Netherlands a sofinumber must be obtained from the tax authorities, foreign department. If the government finds out that you are living here but haven‘t registered they will investigate why you didn‘t register, for example because you are sub-renting a room which may not be allowed by the municipality. If they find out you will have to move. The municipality can also give you a fine but I don‘t know how high this fine can be.  
If you are not registered in the Netherlands you can still be entitled to a tax refund. Important is that you were on a Dutch payroll where wage tax and premiums social security where withheld. See also my comment about the sofinumber/BSN. The tax return must then be filed as a foreign resident. Of course this may lead to questions or possible disadvantages if not all tax credits or deductions can be claimed this way.
Attachments Attachments
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Related Articles RSS Feed
Taxation of spouse alimony
Viewed 667 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013
Partial non resident tax payer status as a result of the 30% ruling
Viewed 6268 times since Tue, Mar 20, 2012
Can some tax company deceive me about my tax return? Can they change my bank details
Viewed 7576 times since Mon, Feb 25, 2013
Tax return - no form has been mailed yet
Viewed 936 times since Thu, Apr 4, 2013
Fake phishing emails which seem to come from the Dutch tax authorities
Viewed 6728 times since Thu, Jan 17, 2013
How is income from Google Adsense taxed?
Viewed 1775 times since Sun, Feb 10, 2013
Status of tax return 2012
Viewed 347 times since Sat, Mar 8, 2014
When can I expect to receive my tax refund?
Viewed 5320 times since Mon, Nov 28, 2011