Knowledge Base

Welcome to the Expatax Knowledge Base containing hundreds of answers to questions we received about topics concerning tax, payroll, accounting, legal, business etc. related to the Netherlands. Search in our Knowledge Base or browse the different categories. Expatax is a Dutch tax and accounting firm specialized in assisting international workers, freelancers and companies. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need assistance or check our website.

I am self employed and work from home. Can I deduct the costs of the room I use for my business?

You may deduct the expenses for a working space at home if all of the following conditions have been met:

  1. The working space is an independent part of the house and is used to earn your income. Independent means that the space can be clearly distinguished from the rest of the house through external features, such as its own access or entrance. In addition, the facilities in the working space are also of importance, such as its own sanitary facilities.
  2. If you do not have a working space elsewhere, at least 30% of your total income from work, such as profit, wage and extra earnings, must be earned in the working space. You must also earn at least 70% of your total income from work in or from the working space. If you do have working space elsewhere, at least 70% of your total income from work must be earned in the working space for which you want to deduct the expenses.
Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed
How can I submit or change a foreign bank account number?
Viewed 4113 times since Wed, Sep 11, 2013
Last year I did not have a VAR which qualified my income towards my client. Do I still need to get one?
Viewed 4694 times since Tue, Feb 14, 2012
The Dutch tax authorities refuse to speak to me in English on the phone. Is that allowed?
Viewed 12088 times since Tue, Jan 31, 2012
What is the so called WOZ value of my house?
Viewed 31033 times since Sun, Nov 20, 2011
Double tax agreement implications - working in the Netherlands and in the UK at the same time
Viewed 15780 times since Thu, Feb 16, 2012
Are there specific tax credits or tax allowances for entrepreneurs?
Viewed 57599 times since Thu, Jun 6, 2013
New mortgage rules in 2014 - tax and legal consequences
Viewed 9643 times since Thu, Jan 9, 2014
Can I open a savings account for my child and will he pay tax on the interest ?
Viewed 9927 times since Wed, Mar 21, 2012
Tax on income earned abroad
Viewed 3328 times since Fri, Aug 30, 2013